#BellLetsTalk: A Discussion about Mental Illness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Last week, Twitter exploded with the use of the hashtag #BellLetsTalk.

Other celebs joined in the hashtag in order to share their support.

So what’s the deal?

The hashtag was in support of the 5th annual Bell Let’s Talk Day, a mental health initiative which took place on January 28th of this year. Bell, Canada’s largest communications company, vowed to donate five cents to Canadian mental health for every time someone used the hashtag #BellLetsTalk. The idea was to break the mental illness stigma and get people talking—and it worked.  

According to letstalk.bell.ca, Bell Let’s Talk’s website, had a record of 122,150,772 tweets, texts, calls, and shares that rang in a total donation of $6,107,538.60, an increase from last year’s Bell Let’s Talk Day. Bell has now committed more than $67.5 million towards Canadian mental health.

So why does this matter to you?

Anxiety and depression are the most common mental health problems on college campuses. According to PsychCentral, a mental health website, 75 percent of all individuals with an anxiety disorder will experience symptoms before age 22. In addition, the Anxiety and Depression Association of America reports that 34 percent of college students have felt depressed at some point in the past three months.

It is common for college students to experience these mental problems and yet so often they feel like they are alone. There are many resources available to help you cope with mental problems such as anxiety and depression. If you are experiencing any signs of anxiety or depression, check to see if your campus has a mental health center. If you think a friend or family member is showing signs of anxiety and depression, there are ways to get through to them, too. Here are some ways to help get a discussion going:

Educate Yourself

Find out the symptoms and treatments that are common with mental illnesses. That way you can let the person know why you think they are suffering and what they can do to get help.

Be Kind—Language Matters

Some people may get defensive at the sound of any sort of mental illness (going along with the stigma), so be careful what you say. Just let someone know in a nice way that you are concerned about them. That fact that you are bringing up the topic will show them you care and that they have your support.  

Listen

Sometimes it is just best to listen. Ask the person what’s on their mind and what’s been going on lately. Sometimes you just need to get someone talking in order to make them realize that they have been keeping something in.

Although mental illnesses can be a touchy subject with some, we must break those boundaries by raising awareness and encouraging dialogue about mental health. Campaigns like #BellLetsTalk bring us one step closer. Let’s take the next step and talk about it with each other!

Yasmine is a senior at James Madison University majoring in writing, rhetoric and technical communication. Half-Italian and half-Palestinian, she was born and raised in Herndon, VA. Her favorite shows include New Girl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU. During the school year, Yasmine writes for publications such as Potty Mouth, Port & Main Magazine, The Breeze, and Health Greatness, in addition to Her Campus. She is also involved in many clubs around campus, such as Muslim Student Association, SafeRides, and Make Your Mark On Madison. She has a passion for writing and hopes to begin her career as a fashion journalist after college. 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.