Life > Academics

How to deal with stress two weeks into the semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

We’ve only had classes for the last two weeks, but it seems to be causing more stress than usual. This isn’t surprising since we are still dealing with COVID, but are no longer in Zoom classes. The changes this last year and a half have transformed life into a chaotic, ever-changing adventure. There isn’t a ‘normal’ anymore and that can be a hard adjustment. 

Classes in person are wildly different than online. We are finally back to sitting in a classroom, meeting our classmates, and being able to interact in a completely different way. All of this on top of school work, in-person club meetings, jobs, and more creates so much stress. It’s okay to be overwhelmed and just remember that you are not alone in this feeling.

As we’ve started school I have done my best to try and ease anxiety and reduce my stress levels so that way I can enjoy more of my senior year. Here are a couple of things I’ve been doing to avoid getting too overwhelmed

1. Write everything down. My planner is already worn in. Every event, assignment, and all of my plans are written down. This is extremely helpful because it is so rewarding when I get to cross something off. 
  2. Sleep eight hours a night. Sleep is vital for your body. It helps your skin, your mental health, productivity, and focus. Starting the day with enough sleep makes an impact on how you take on the day.
  3. Take time for self-care. I have made it a priority to get my nails done every two weeks. It’s something little and doesn’t seem important, but it makes me feel so confident. That confidence plays a huge role in how I carry out my work and live my life. It makes 
  4. Schedule time for homework. This tip is found everywhere, but making a schedule can be life-changing. Plan your time out, make a to-do list and stick to your schedule. This is vital on busier days.  
  5. Plan time to hang out with friends and your significant other. Constantly being in class or at work, the days can get pretty lonely. That loneliness takes a toll making the days harder. Being with other people, even if it is just studying, will lift your mood and have you feeling less overwhelmed. 
  6. Understand you are not alone with whatever you are feeling. Right now every person is stressed about the constant changes being made to their lifestyle. Nothing is constant and change can be a very hard adjustment. Whether it’s your freshman year or you’re in grad school the feelings are all the same.

Regardless of what happens there will always be stress surrounding school, it’s a lot of work! The best thing to do is try to minimize it and set yourself up for success. This is the time to discover who you are, what you like, and try new things. Of course, school will be difficult and overwhelming, but it shouldn’t consume you. If you are struggling please reach out to the counseling center for assistance.

Kate is majoring in writing, rhetoric, and technical communication and minoring in entrepreneurship. You can usually find her at Starbucks and listening to true crime podcasts.