5 Things I’ve Learned After 5 Months at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

College: a mix of young adults being excited to start a new life and be on their own, and  where they’re thrown into the deep end and have to figure out how to live without rules or guidance. As a now second semester freshman, I’d like to share my wisdom to all incoming freshman:

1. Sweatpants in public (enough said)

That itself should be enough motivation for you to apply and go to college. The high school days of trying to actually look nice and the no sweatpants rule in “Mean Girls” is long gone. It seems like almost everyone you see is in sweatpants and a baggy T-shirt or sweatshirt without caring what others think, and that my friends, is a beautiful thing.

2. College = A Luxury

Yeah, college can suck sometimes (half the time), but the beautiful thing about a college campus, besides the campus itself, is what it has to offer. If your college has a nice gym, a movie theatre, a room dedicated to napping, improv shows, a-cappella shows, you’re living in luxury and should take advantage of that pronto.

3. Napping is OKAY

I used to look down upon napping because I thought it was for lazy people only – but let me tell you how many naps I’ve taken since last semester. Too many to count. See, college is a world where time almost doesn’t exist. We are at the library till 2 in the morning, so naps are beyond necessary. I solemnly swear to never judge people who nap ever again.

4. Classes may be hard for you – and it’s okay

We all come from the world of high school. But we don’t all come from the same high school. When talking to my roommate and friends, I’m hearing of some classes and programs I’ve never even heard of before. It’s okay to find a class difficult when someone else says its their easiest class, it all balances out.

5. Time doesn’t exist.

Okay, this may be a stretch but the theory is accurate. If you get an assignment that your teacher says should take few weeks to do, it can be done in a few hours. If you study for 8+ hours for a test, there’s still a chance you can fail. If you say you’re only going to watch one hour worth of Netflix, you can realize four hours later that you were lying to yourself. Time is so different in college because you have so much of it, so you lose track of it all the time and then scramble when you realize how crucial it is.

Good luck to all the incoming freshman, supposedly these are the best four years of our lives, so make em count!

Hello, it's me. Edel (pronounced like the singer), was previously Assistant Social Editor, Video for Her Campus Media. She graduated in May 2018  from James Madison University in with a double major in Media Arts and Design and Communications Studies. Before joining the HC girl gang full-time she was the Campus Correspondent for the JMU Her Campus Chapter. She's an avid social media user, food enthusiast, and shopping extraordinaire. You can catch her taking a coffee break or binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix.