5 Natural Flu Remedies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

So you’ve got that stubborn, stuffy nose again. Just another cold, right? Soon enough you have chills and an achy body. Once you feel the fever, chances are you’ve caught the flu. Students at JMU have been hit with the virus especially hard this year. While sickness may seem to linger with every cough and sniffle, here are some all-natural ways to cure that flu in no time.

1. Honey

Take it from the bees–honey will be your best friend when fighting sickness. It is known to be antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral. A couple of teaspoons in a cup of warm tea is always good, but it is even better taken alone. Try a few teaspoons as soon as you start to feel sick, and especially right before bed. It is a much healthier alternative to the standard, manufactured cough syrups that contain tons of chemicals.

2. Hot Peppers

If you are into spicy food, then you are definitely in luck. A little spice in your life is the best way to clear up your sinuses when you are sick. Capsaicin is the natural compound found in hot peppers. It helps to thin mucus, causing your nose to run and clear out the nasal passage. For the perfect spicy punch, have a kickin’ bowl of chili or fiery plate of stir-fry.

3. Green Tea

Nothing is more comforting on a sick day than a warm cup of tea. Coming down with the flu is an especially good time to switch out that vanilla chai for some green tea. Green tea is loaded with immunity-boosting antioxidants that help your cells fight off the germs that are making you sick. Sweeten up your cup with a few spoons of that good-for-you honey. Your body will thank you for that warm feeling (and the extra fluids).

4. Mint

Menthol is the oil in mint that gives it that cooling sensation. The best way to use mint is in tea form, with the most popular being spearmint, peppermint, and wintergreen. Mint tea is especially good at reducing congestion and fever. Boil up a cup and you will find yourself saying ahh with every sip.

5. Ginger

We’re not talking about Ginger Ale here. Ginger has a long history as an anti-inflammatory plant, especially in traditional Chinese medicine. It is available in tablets, the root itself, and tea (in keeping with the trend). For the best flu-fighting results, make yourself some ginger tea twice daily by steeping 2 tablespoons of fresh ginger in a cup of boiling water. Be careful not to use too much, as an excess of ginger can cause irritation of the mouth, heartburn and diarrhea. A little goes a long way!

Whether you are suffering from the flu or are avoiding it like the plague, there are many ways to stay healthy. In addition to these natural miracles described above, remember the basics: wash your hands, cover your mouth, get enough sleep, and stock up on that Vitamin C. Here’s to a quick recovery!

Yasmine is a senior at James Madison University majoring in writing, rhetoric and technical communication. Half-Italian and half-Palestinian, she was born and raised in Herndon, VA. Her favorite shows include New Girl, The Office, and Law and Order: SVU. During the school year, Yasmine writes for publications such as Potty Mouth, Port & Main Magazine, The Breeze, and Health Greatness, in addition to Her Campus. She is also involved in many clubs around campus, such as Muslim Student Association, SafeRides, and Make Your Mark On Madison. She has a passion for writing and hopes to begin her career as a fashion journalist after college. 
Aleixka has a B.A. in Media Arts and Design and a minor in Spanish from James Madison University. She loves all things books, traveling, food, and photography.