Wellness > Health

A Spring Break Workout to Make You Feel Strong!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

I know many of us are still in the winter hibernation phase, and would like to change from our sedentary couch slug routines, to getting into spring shape. Getting into the groove of a workout routine is never easy; in fact, any process of getting into shape is not easy, because you are trying to make your body stronger than it is. Even though exercising may seem really hard, even painful to endure, working out regularly starts to feel rewarding, and your body thanks you! Don’t feel discouraged if you have a certain goal in mind and the results don’t show up as fast. It’s important to note that slow and steady always wins the race, so you should pace yourself.

Also, remember that your goals for your workouts, whether you’re trying to tone your body or lose weight, should be realistic and maintainable. Working out can be great, but it can fall into other obsessions, like obsessing over the food you consume, and not allowing your body to rest. Remember that your health is sacred!

Here is a nice workout routine that I’ve been doing since my track days in high school (I’m not that athletic, only ran for one season lol). It may seem hard if these exercises are new to you, but you can always change the number of reps and work your way up! These exercises are really efficient at toning your abs and legs.

60 x 60 x 60 crunches (these are three sets of 60 crunches)

60 toe touches (laying on back with legs in the air, reaching to touch toes)

60 switching toe touches (crossing arm to opposite foot and vice versa)

90 russian twists

60 v-ups (sitting down, folding both legs into ‘V’ shape)

60 switching v-ups (one leg at a time)

1 single minute plank

To accompany these ab and leg exercises, I also like to do some cardio by running a couple of miles on the treadmill. I always pace myself so that I’m not dying while I’m running (though sometimes when you’re starting out, that feeling is kind of inevitable). If I’m not feeling the treadmill, I will use the elliptical. Make a personalized playlist for your workout to get you pumped up. Sometimes I find that I’m more willing to “feel the burn” and resist having to take breaks when the music really gets me going.

I hope this workout routine inspires you to become stronger! Hopefully those workout endorphins will seep into your spring, and make it the best spring semester!

Ali Friedberg

Jefferson '23

I'm Ali and I'm a psychology/occupational therapy student. Lover of cheesecake, old music, and self care?