This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Before lockdown, I never had a proper skin care routine. I wouldn’t even call it a skin care routine. I would just use multiple exfoliates or cleansers at once. It wasn’t even consistent! I decided to change my routine when I started to learn more about skin care and I started to get the dreaded “maskne”. During lockdown, I would always come across Tik Toks and YouTube videos from Hyram. Hyram is a skin care influencer who wants to teach others about skin care. You can check him out at https://www.youtube.com/c/Hyram/featured! 

From his videos, I learned that there are 7 parts to a skin care routine: cleanser, exfoliator, toner, serums, eye cream, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Make sure you create your skin care routine based on your skin type. I have very oily skin, so that’s what my routine is fit for. Let’s get to my skin care routine! 

1.) Cleanser: CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser 

•  CeraVe Foaming Facial Cleanser is specifically for oily skin. I use this cleanser in the mornings. When I apply it, I usually massage it into my skin for about 1 minute. It contains ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacin amide which restores and nourishes the skin’s barrier. 

2.) Exfoliator: Aveeno Positively Radiant Skin Brightening Daily Scrub 

• Aveeno Positively Radiant is meant to be a daily scrub, but I use it 2-3 times a week after I shower. Exfoliates or scrubs should not be used every day because it can damage your skin. After I use this scrub, I can see how bright my skin is! Aveeno Positively Radiant has castor oil which works to prevent acne and wrinkles. 
    • *I know this product is labeled as a “skin brightening” product, so I want to point out the difference between skin brightening vs. skin lightening. Skin brightening is about getting that youthful glow to your skin while skin lightening is about lightening dark areas of the skin* 

3.) Toner: Thayers Witch Hazel Facial Toner 

• A great thing about this toner is that it’s alcohol free. Alcohol can be drying to the skin, so be sure to find skin products that don’t include it. I know what you’re going to say. Hyram HATES witch hazel. Personally, this toner has worked for me. A few spritz of this in the morning after cleanser is enough to enough to get my feeling refreshed and ready for the day! 

4.) Serums: The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% 

• Niacinamide is a type of B3 vitamin that’s great for oily skin because it helps to regulate the amount of oil your glands produce. It’s also good for reducing acne and lightening acne scars. There are plenty more benefits of niacinamide! With this product, a little goes a long way. Using the dropper, I put 2 drops on my fingertip and evenly distribute it on my face. I’ll put this on in the morning, after toner. Some other good serums are Hyaluronic Acid, Lactic Acid, and Salicylic Acid. 

5.) Eye Cream: CeraVe Eye Repair Cream 

• Eye creams are optional in a skin care routine, but if you’re looking for a good one, I would recommend this. CeraVe Eye Repair Cream has helped me with my under-eye darkness. I can also see a notable difference in the puffiness of my under-eyes. It contains ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide. This helps in protecting the skin’s barrier and keeping in the moisture. I apply this in the morning after my serum and at night before going to sleep. I put three dots under each of my eyes and pat it in with my ring finger. 

6.) Moisturizer: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream 

• We’re almost through my entire routine! After the eye cream, I use the CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Before I learned more about skin care, I thought I didn’t need a moisturizer since I have oily skin. That’s not true. No matter your skin type, you should use a moisturizer. There are moisturizers specifically for oily skin, but I prefer to use this moisturizer which is actually for normal to dry skin. CeraVe Moisturizing Cream helps to keep my skin soft and healthy. 

7.) Sunscreen: Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Sunscreen

• Last one! Sunscreen is an essential part of a skin care routine. It is important to protect our skin from the sun’s dangerous rays. Before, I wouldn’t use much sunscreen because I thought I didn’t need it. Then one day I was out in the sun for too long and got sun burnt everywhere that was exposed to the sun. After that places like my face get sun burnt easily. Don’t be like me… MAKE SURE YOU WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN! 

I know this may seem like a lot to do in the morning, but once it becomes a routine, it’s hard not to do it. Skin care is all about finding what works for you and your skin. You may have noticed the amount of CeraVe products I use. That’s because I like the ingredients that go into these products because they’re very beneficial. Just remember to research the ingredients of products that you’re going to use to make sure they’re going to help your skin and not hurt it. Also, it is important to do a skin test on your arm before using any of your products. This will prevent you from using products that you may be allergic to on your face. 

As a lot of us are stuck at home, we can use this time for self-care. Even if you do go out for work or school, self-care is important. Skin care is one way you could self-care. Try to set apart some time in the morning for a skin care routine. Trust me, it will make you feel energized and ready to take on whatever the day throws at you! 

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)