This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Growing up I’ve had multiple diaries. Those diaries were always left half empty. Since I was very young I’ve tried to keep up with my diaries, but it never worked out. I even tried to use diaries with pretty covers to motivate me into writing, but that didn’t help. I don’t know if it was the pressure of trying to find something to write about or if I just lost interest in it very quickly. I was so adamant about keeping a diary because I wanted something to look back on when I was older. With the remnants of diary entries that I do have, it is cute and heart-warming to read about what little-Riya cared about and how she viewed these things. Unfortunately, I stopped attempting to keep a diary when I was in middle school, so I don’t have many entries to look back on.

However, during quarantine, I started a bullet journal. I was actually able to keep up with the journal for a few months which was the longest I’ve ever gone. I enjoyed it because it combined journaling with one of my favorite hobbies: art. I put a lot of work into my journal to make it look as aesthetic as the ones on TikTok. But, after some time, I realized just how much effort it took to keep up with a bullet journal, so I gave up on that too.

When I got to college, the urge to start journaling came up again. There were some days where I had a lot on my mind and felt overwhelmed by the emotions. I wanted an outlet where I could face and relieve these stressors and journaling often came to mind. However, I avoided it because I didn’t want to start again and not be consistent with it. Finally, a few months ago, I decided to start journaling because I heard how helpful it was for others and wanted to try it for myself. After a few months of being consistent, I can say that I agree. Sometimes I struggle with communicating how I’m feeling, so writing down those thoughts were very helpful for me. I was able to get out everything that was swirling around in my head and confront all of those feelings which would lead me to the root of the issue. I also find it important to not only reflect on the negatives, but also the positives. Writing about a good day or doing something I love, helps me to have a more positive outlook.

Journaling now is far different from when I was a kid (as expected). Before, it was me writing in my Hannah Montana notebook about getting braces or going to birthday parties. But now, it’s focused on my thoughts and feelings. It’s helped me to be more in tune with my emotions. I also changed my mindset when it comes to journaling. I think the pressure of having to write everyday prevented me from continuing. Now, I just journal when I’m feeling big emotions that I need to get off my chest. This has helped me to be more consistent with it. I’ve been journaling for about 4 months now and I hope to continue on with it!

Riya Roy

Jefferson '24

Hi! I'm Riya, a Senior Pre-Med major at Jefferson! I'm from Northeast Philly and I've lived there my whole life. I enjoy reading, art, baking and binge watching Netflix! This year, I'm one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus Jefferson and I'm so excited!! Hope you enjoy my articles :)