Life > Experiences

Include your Fur Babies in Thanksgiving This Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

If you are like me and my mom, then you love your dogs like they are your family. Well, they really are! Also, I know if I were a dog, I would get sick of eating the same dry kibble food for every meal every single day. Especially around Thanksgiving when the entire family is eating a delicious meal without you! This year is the year to make a dog-friendly meal for your beloved fur baby so they can feel included with everyone in the holiday festivities. This dish is so easy to prepare and you can use the leftover ingredients for the main meal for the dogs so you don’t have to throw it away!

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly oil a roasting pan
  2. Cook the desired amount of skinless turkey breasts or thighs for 30-45 minutes and let cool
  3. Dice the meat into large pieces and roast with cubed fresh sweet potatoes (about ⅓ of the amount of turkey used) for about 25-30 minutes. Let it cool, then dice.
  4. While the turkey and sweet potatoes are roasting, cook about 1 cup of oatmeal according to the package instructions and set aside
  5. After the turkey and sweet potatoes are nice and tender, mix together the turkey meat, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, and 2 tablespoons of cranberry sauce
  6. Extra tip: add a drizzle of turkey gravy, but not too much, as an extra bang for your dog’s taste buds (if your dog is prone to pancreatitis or other fat-related tummy issues, don’t add any gravy)!

Whether your dog is a full-grown Mastiff that will eat 3 pounds of turkey or a tiny chihuahua that will only eat a handful, all dogs will go crazy for this meal. Not only because of its delicious taste but also because of its health benefits as well. They will be so happy to join you and your family for dinner this holiday season!

My name is Haley Rymarkiewicz and I am currently a Pre-Med Student at Thomas Jefferson University. In my free time, I love reading, dancing, painting, and listening to music. One fun fact about me is that I am the oldest of five siblings!