This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

For many, the journey through school isn’t just about academic pursuits, it’s also a time of personal growth and self-discovery. A key part of growth may be preparing or getting into more serious romantic relationships. Finding love while balancing school and extracurricular activities can be very challenging. For those who navigate this successfully, the rewards can be profound. This type of experience can shape not just school experiences but also future relationships and personal development. Below are some of my recommendations for those looking for love on campus!

Exploring Shared Spaces:

Universities are rich environments for social interaction. From classrooms to common areas, students have ample opportunities to meet and connect with others who share the same interests and goals. Simply getting out of the dorms or your house can help you interact with people in the same phase of life who may also be going through the same things as you!

Friendship as the Foundation:

Friendships can often serve as the cornerstone of a romantic relationship. Friendships allow an individual to explore shared values and experiences with another in a less pressurized setting. Even just getting to the point where you’re comfortable with another is a great start to building a romantic relationship. The transition from friend to more of a romantic relationship can be tricky at times but could lead to great experiences!

Navigating Challenges- Communication:

Balancing academic responsibilities with social lives can be demanding. This can leave little time for yourself let alone putting energy into pursuing someone else. Communication is your best friend. If you’re finding this individual on campus, they’re most likely also a student going through similar experiences as you academically. Keeping the door open to clear communication can help provide boundaries and reasonable expectations of one another. 

Don’t go in with a proposal:

Don’t go into a conversation with someone dead set on finding your lifelong partner. Your person will come to you it just takes time to find them. Enjoy the process of getting to know people and remember that regardless of the outcome, the experiences gained from navigating love in school can lay the groundwork for future relationships. 

Finding love in school can be really hard to navigate but just remember that there are so many other students in the same boat as you. Enjoy your journey and stay positive!

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!