This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

As school for most is back in session, I think it’s important to address classroom confidence. We are coming into this semester fresh off Zoom University. For many sophomores this is the first time really sitting in a consistent in-person lecture class. How do you navigate this new environment?

For me, when I start to feel uncomfortable or nervous in a class, my participation starts to dwindle. I start focusing more on my surroundings and myself in relation to my environment, rather than the content being discussed in the classroom. Learning new material and reinforcing/clarifying learned material is the entire purpose of the classroom. Not feeling confident amongst your peers clearly can severely affect your performance inside and outside the classroom.

The ways I try and build my confidence is to start participating often, right off the bat. The first day and into the first week of class I like to push myself to participate more than I normally would so I almost desensitize myself to the stress of being singled out. It’s also important to remember everyone else in the room including the professor has nerves too. You’re all there to promote learning in your subject and that takes discussion!

Confidence comes easier to some than others and it is not a linear path. Some days may be better than others. However, it’s important to recognize you’re not alone in your anxieties and push to be better in the classroom because it can in turn aid your academic performance.

Mari Adamson

Jefferson '24

Mari is a 4th year at Jefferson University, majoring in health sciences and enrolled in the Pre-Physician's Assistant Program with a minor in Law. In her spare time she enjoys hiking and finding new places to eat. She also has a passion for photography and self-care!