Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Career > Her20s

College Students’ Adjustment to Living Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Cleanliness is something a great number of students find valuable in their daily lives, but at times in college, it is difficult to practice the same care with being clean as at one’s home. Throughout Thomas Jefferson University, some call for more attention to maintain a clean dorm room; for example, in order to have a clean floor, one must invest in a broom, vacuum, and mop, while at home, supplies such as this were simply around for them to use. In regards to laundry, the machines are different than the ones many are used to, so some feel less inclined to do laundry as often, and consequently, their laundry piles up, leaving them with little clothing. Many students struggle with finding time to even just make their beds early in the morning for fear of being late to class. For these college students, specifically freshmen, it is a simple matter of adjustment to the independent lifestyle. 

Freshmen that are dorming are thrown into a completely unique lifestyle than what they have lived in their whole life. A way for freshmen who are struggling to pick up their usual routines is by using a planner in order to help schedule times to perform duties such as laundry or changing sheets. Another solution is talking to a counselor if this disorder makes any student feel stressed or chaotic in order to find better pathways to living in a more organized manner. Students can also ask their parents for advice on starting a life on their own and how to look after themselves. Overall, students should be looking out for themselves and their varying needs now that they are in a college setting in order to make the adjustment to this new lifestyle easier on them and to maintain a healthy, clean environment.

Aliya Bilimoria

Jefferson '26

I am looking to enlighten and empower female students in college through writing!