Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer Stress
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Wellness

5 Things to Try Instead of Overthinking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Suggestions from a fellow worrier. :)

Read a book!

Reading a new book or rereading an old favorite is a great way to do something that is both productive and relaxing; plus, it’s a nice escape from whatever real-world things are on your mind. I know, I know, you’re busy, and you don’t have time to sit around and read… perhaps try an audiobook or replacing your nightly Netflix binge by reading a couple chapters.

Get active!

Something I’ve learned is that if you’re doing anything physical, whether that’s running, dancing, lifting weights, or taking a yoga class, it’s hard to think about anything else. Being physically active requires that your thought goes into having proper form and getting the most out of your workout, which means you don’t have the headspace to be getting hung up on negative thoughts or what-if’s. Getting in some active hours is a great way to put yourself in a positive state of mind.

Get creative!

A great way to chill out and take your mind off of things is by doing something creative! Try drawing, maybe teach yourself to knit or crochet, or write some poetry. You don’t have to be the next Picasso or Poe, but it’s always fun to try new things.

Bullet journal!

Journaling is super fun and can also be beneficial to staying organized academically and otherwise! I for one love to color code daily planners, make my own calendars, and write myself encouraging messages. This is an easy way to direct your focus onto something productive as well as fun.

Call a friend!

Even if you call your friend and end up talking about whatever you’ve been overthinking, this can be beneficial! Talking about what’s on your mind to someone else can help you get some new perspective, allows you to untangle the yarn ball of thoughts in your head, and – in my experience – leaves you feeling less burdened by what’s bugging you. Otherwise, you can talk to a friend about literally anything to take your mind off of things. Catching up with a friend over the phone will likely boost your mood and can help you laugh through your problems.

Hey there, my name is Amelia! I am a psychology major who loves music, food, writing, and watching movies!