Tips and Tricks to Scheduling Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It’s that point in the semester where we schedule our classes! It seems like so much runs through our minds such as whether or not we have a good scheduling time, what classes to take, if we have enough credits, and the dreadful trying to find a time to meet with your advisor! Here are the tips I have taken to make sure everything is done RIGHT!

1. Print off a course evaluation:

If you have never done one of these, do it! They are a serious lifesaver. Not only do they tell you how many credits you have completed, but they also let you know what classes you still need to take.  From there, you look at your school bulletin and see what classes will be offered the next semester and then you’re onto your next step.

2. Planning time:

This might be one of the most stressful parts of the process. Now that you have all of your classes, it is time to put everything into a nice neat Word document. I find it is easier to plan out your week with at least one back up plan just in case there are no spots available for the day and time you wanted. Personally, I hate the waiting list, so I try to make sure I am guaranteed a seat. Another helpful hint to do at this stage and utilize ratemyprofessor.com. If you are unfamiliar with this site, basically it is a website where students can rate the professor based on how they taught, homework load, etc. I find it to be very accurate and helpful and it is always a must in my planning step.

3. Advisor:

Whatever you do, do not wait until the last minute to meet with your advisor. I will guarantee you that you will find it very difficult to set up an appointment given the fact you are not the only person they are advising! Once you have your appointment set up, I like to come in with both my degree evaluation and Word document of my exact schedule for the next semester.  I find this to be the fastest way to get things done because all you advisor needs to do is read things over and BAM you’re done.

4.  Scheduling day:

I don’t know about anyone else, but this is the most dreadful time of the day. I open up my laptop five minutes before my schedule time, and literally refresh the page until my magic time slot. Thanks to my fancy preparations I did earlier, which may seem like too much to some people, I am now able to quickly type in my CRN numbers and go! I have found that having every little detail mapped out before hand is such a lifesaver. You save so much time!