New Year, New You at John Carroll

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

So many people make grandiose plans for their New Year’s Resolutions.  So many people fail at their resolutions within the first week or two.  Even if you’ve already given up on your resolutions for this year, it’s never too late to start over.  A community like John Carroll is a great place to work on bettering yourself as well, as there are lots of opportunities to do things like get involved in service projects, get fit, and join clubs to meet new people!  Take a look at some of these popular resolutions and ways that resources here at JCU can help you make them happen:

Losing weight/Getting fit:  One of the most popular resolutions, especially among college women, is to get fit or lose weight.  Unfortunately, balancing a workout schedule with classes, work, and homework is often really difficult, especially if you didn’t have it in mind to build workout time into your schedule when you were registering for classes last semester.  Luckily, John Carroll offers several options to help you achieve your goals.  Intramural teams, like floor hockey, softball, and soccer all have signups coming up in February.  They’re a great way to form a team with friends and compete in a fun, friendly atmosphere.  It’s also worth while to check out some of the club teams – women’s rowing is still accepting new teammates!  While the early wakeup call may not be for everyone, it does easily fit in even the busiest class schedule.  It’s also a great way to meet new friends!  A little known option is to sign up for one of the one credit physical education classes.  Most of them are only half of the semester, so you can still register! Some past offerings include tennis, jogging, racquetball, and swimming.  There are also a ton of free fitness classes for JCU students.  Some of the more popular ones include zumba, spinning, and yoga.  Taking a yoga class isn’t only good for your body – it’s also a great way to clear your head and distress!  Of course, you can always take advantage of the fitness center itself.  The long hours are fantastic because you can find a time that works in your busy schedule.

Eating healthier: Of course, getting fit and losing weight doesn’t happen with exercise alone, so a lot of collegiette’s also make the resolution to eat healthier.  For many women, eating healthy foods is really difficult to keep up in college.  JCU has some great options to help you achieve your goal.  For example, the InnBetween now carries humus in individual cups that come with a portion of pretzel chips.  This is a great option for snack instead of grabbing a bag of chips or an order of fries.  The cafeteria also posts the menu online and has nutrition information up on the wall that partitions off the conveyer belt.  These are great tools to use to help you plan meals, guide portion control, and stay within your goals.

Taking time to do what you love: Being a busy college student, it’s easy to lose sight of the things that you’re passionate about, be they reading books, drawing, or dancing.  Luckily, there are a bunch of groups that can help you carve out time to participate in those fun activities that you love.  Some great examples would be singing during mass with the chapel choir, which only requires you to show up an hour before mass to rehearse, or auditioning for the dance team or dance ensemble.  Other options include participating in events sponsored by SUPB or other organizations.  Often times, events such as the “Wellness in the Stacks” series offers fun activities like crayon art, painting, or making Pinterest inspired crafts.  Another thing to check out is the non-academic books in the library, or even the small section in the bookstore.  Reading for fun is a great way to unwind after a long day or a long week.

Having more adventures: Doing things outside of your comfort zone are a great way to change and grow as a person.  The college years are, of course, the prime time to explore the world around you. One of the most popular ways to expand your horizons is to study abroad.  The Center for Global Education is a great place to start, and there are a ton of programs that are available for JCU students.  Another option is to apply for an immersion trip.  What better way to have an adventure than to participate in a program with your classmates to help those in need?  Of course, there are other ways to have an adventure closer to home.  The city of Cleveland has a lot to offer, you just need to seek it out.  Why not take a Saturday and get together a group of friends to explore the world-class art museum? Or how about taking a trip down to the Rock And Roll Hall of Fame?  Between the RTA and that friend that has a car, you can find a way to get around the city.

Improving self-esteem: There are a lot of resources available at JCU to help out with your mental health.  One of the biggest is the counseling center.  It is a great place to go, and there is a lot of focus on it being a safe space.  The people that work there are careful to make sure there are no confidentiality issues, and everyone is respectful and kind.  Another idea is to participate in “The Living Person” which kicks off on January 24.  It’s a great way to get inspired and to be the best person you can be.

Improving your GPA: The latest US News and World Reports college rankings came out, and JCU is listed as number one in the Midwest for undergraduate teaching.  While that means that we are getting a fantastic education, it also means that we get a lot of homework.  Improving your grades for the semester is always something to strive for, and we have a ton of options at JCU to make sure that we succeed.  Our library is always a great place to study, and we even have free support offered in the learning commons – there’s a schedule that states which subject will have support available at specific times during the week.  Several of the departments, especially subjects such as math and science, have tutors you can work with so you can ace that homework or lab report.  The writing center is also always available, and they will work with you on any step of the writing process, even if it’s just brainstorming a topic.  Of course, taking advantage of your professors’ office hours never hurts either.  In fact, most of them are more than happy to help out because they’re happy someone has shown an initiative to improve.

Planning for your future: It’s never too early to start thinking about life after school.  Between getting internships over the summer and trying juggle graduate school or job applications for after graduation, there’s a lot to do.  Before it gets too overwhelming, check out JCU’s Career Center.  You can make appointments to build and improve your resume, or they can help you narrow down everything from what to major in or where and how to apply for graduate school.  Of course, there is also the annual Career Fair.  This year, it’s on February 6, and you can still register until February 2.  You do need to go over your resume with the Career Center, so be sure to register early and make an appointment with a consultant.  It’s a fabulous opportunity to network, find internships, or find a full-time job for after graduation.

Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.