This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

Ain’t no party like a Zumba party! John Carroll joined that party when they hired Monique as a Zumba instructor on our campus. Her exuberant personality made her the perfect fit for the job. Her love for fitness and music spreads throughout the room every class. Monique is not only a fitness instructor but a woman who inspires the people in her class to be the best that they can be.

What originally got you started in teaching Zumba?

I started teaching Zumba in 2008. I was teaching a dance fitness and line dancing class at the YMCA, and decided to incorporate the Latin music into my program and fell in love with Zumba!

How long have you been teaching (in general and at jcu)?

I’ve been teaching at JCU since fall semester 2009.

Do you teach Zumba anywhere else?

Currently, I teach Zumba and step aerobics for Hillcrest YMCA and Cleveland Clinic.

What is your favorite thing about teaching Zumba?

My favorite thing about Zumba is its versatility. With Zumba you blend so many different flavors; so many types of exercises can be embedded in the Zumba fitness program. I try to incorporate HIIT principles, cardio/toning, and plyometrics training, as well as pilates and yoga poses for strength, balance and flexibility integrations. It’s exercise in disguise!

What is currently your favorite song to teach during class?

My current favorite songs are “Timber” by Ke$ha and “Unconditionally” by Katy Perry.

What are your favorite activities when you aren’t teaching class?

My favorite thing to do when I am not teaching fitness classes is getting a massage! I love the relaxing and restorative benefits of deep tissue massage.

What is your favorite post work out snack?

Justin’s Almond Butter and banana.

Are there any negative aspects to teaching? If so, what are they?

Some of the downsides of teaching Zumba classes or any high impact fitness classes are the over-use injuries that sometimes occur with hectic teaching schedules. I try to vary my workout to help my body recover properly to prevent getting injured.

What advice would you give to someone who wants to start teaching Zumba?

If I could give advice to someone who would like to teach Zumba, it would be to spend time learning the basic exercise principles, anatomy and physiology. Also, take many different Zumba classes from different instructors to gain a feel for variety, style and the flavors that each individual has. Then begin practicing and developing who you’d like to be as an instructor. That’s important because you have to be confident when leading group exercise classes. Or, you can find a mentor (like me hint, hint) who loves new talent and practice, practice practice!!!

What is one thing you wish more people knew about you?

I would like people to know that I am a really shy person and teaching Zumba has helped me to work on my introverted personality and overcome my shyness!

Photo Credit: Monique’s own photo

Hello there! I am a sophomore at John Carroll University. I am majoring in Sociology with a double minor in Engish and Peace, Justice, and Human Rights so I stay pretty busy. I someday hope to go into Social Work and then go on to help end the stigma associated with mental health. I am a proud Kappa Delta and will often be sporting my letters. You will either find me singing songs from Frozen on the KD floor, in the library, or grabbing a quick decaf coffee before class.
Allison Gall is a senior English major at John Carroll University. She is also a member of Kappa Delta Sorority. While not doing school work, Allison is involved in several other activities, including working with her church and taking Taekwondo. Allison also loves to read and write, sing, play violin, swim, and run. She is also interested in fashion, and she is known among her friends as the go-to person for hair and makeup help.