Meals on A Minimum: Chicken Stir-Fry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I absolutely love stir-fry. I could eat it everyday if I had to. Mostly, the reason that I love it is because it is cheap and easy. The only ingredients you really need are rice, vegetables, and protein. Rice is very inexpensive, you can choose whichever vegetables you want to include, and you can choose whether you want chicken, beef, tofu, or something else! Personally, I like using white rice, red and green pepper, onion, mushroom, and water chesnuts. Also, I like to add in chicken or tofu.

First, cut up your veggies the way that you like them and start putting your rice in water on the stove. The rice can cook while you prepare the rest.

Next, set aside your veggies and cut up your protein (I always cut the chicken last so I don’t have to wash my cutting board multiple times). When your protein is cut into small pieces, put a little bit of olive oil in a large skillet and start cooking on medium heat. This is when I like to add sauce such as soy, teriyaki, szechuan, or a mixture of the three to taste! You can also season your meat with similar flavors of spices to give it more zest.

Once your chicken is cooked 3/4 of the way through, add your vegetables to the skillet. (Note: By this time, your rice may be done so check on it) 

Keep sauteeing the veggies and protein mixture until the vegetables are soft and until you can cut open the chicken and see that it is cooked fully.

Finally, put your rice on the plate and top it with the stir-fry! I like to add more sauce at this point too for more flavor. 

This meal is super cheap and relatively easy to make! Plus, there are always left-overs to have for a yummy lunch the next day!