This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

This weekend, John Carroll University’s a capella group, the Sweet Carrollines, sent the student body into finals week with some great tunes and tons of fun. For anyone not familiar with a capella, it’s a form of concert performance that doesn’t use any instruments for music, including background effects–just voices. If you’ve seen Pitch Perfect, you’ll know what I’m talking about. If not, look up some a capella groups and watch a few videos to find out. People can do some pretty amazing stuff with their voices, and a capella really shows off those skills!

The Sweet Carrollines have been one of John Carroll’s a capella groups for ten years now, providing beautiful music to the whole student body. On Friday night, they hosted an end-of-the-semester concert in the Student Center to help take all our minds off the upcoming finals week. From pop hits like “God Is a Woman” by Ariana Grande to oldies like “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough,” the variety in songs kept audience members tapping their toes and humming along. How can you not belt out “Mamma Mia” when it’s in full swing? And of course, with the holidays fast approaching, the Sweet Carrollines covered a number of seasonal hits too.

“Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” and “That’s Christmas to Me” put us in the holiday mood, especially when the Carrollines came out in Santa hats and reindeer antlers. The concert also included a couple cameo appearances from Rhapsody Blue, another of John Carroll’s talented a capella groups. What better way could there have been to get some much-needed study relief and get in the Christmas spirit? It was so much fun to see all the talent John Carroll has to offer!

Mallory Fitzpatrick is a senior at John Carroll University, who loves reading, writing, and travel.