Dorm Room Gardens

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

On the whole, dorm rooms are dreary. They have poor lighting, and they’re bland. The walls are often white, and they can feel faintly reminiscent of a prison cell. I am a senior who has lived on campus for almost 4 years now. In order to evade the dreary depressing-ness of my room, I usually limit the time spent in my dorm room to sleeping only. However, sometimes you just need time to be alone, and that usually means vegging in the dorm room. So, I am always looking for ways to vamp up my dorm room style. I want to make my room somewhere I actually want to spend time in. My current cure to dorm room blues? Plants.

Ok, so hear me out. Plants are known to increase oxygen flow and decrease pollutants in the air. As a result, plants provide numerous mental health benefits. Which, when you think about it makes sense. So, when you do the math: better oxygen + less pollutants = better concentration and mental health. Sign me up! Furthermore, plants are a surefire way to brighten up a room, and you don’t even need to pick out a high maintenance plant! Get ready to Feng Shui your room with some plants with these tips!

1. Picking Out the Perfect Plant

Typically, when you look at plants or seeds at a store the packaging will state the ideal environment for your plant to grow healthy and strong. Check the back of the package, usually it will list one of three categories. The most popular are: full-sun, part-sun/part-shade, and full-shade. You will want to find a plant that is best adapted for your dorm room. What is the lighting like in your room? Are you able to control the temperature? These are both important things to think about when picking out the plant.

If you have very little to no natural light, you may want to consider plants like lucky bamboo. These plants can grow with minimal light exposure. On the other hand, if you have a moderately well lit room, you can be a little more flexible. Cacti, succulents, ivies, and ferns are all good choices. In the event that you are willing to spend a bit more on caring for your plants, it might be a good idea to invest in a natural “sunlight” bulb or lamp.

2. Caring for Your Plant

Every plant is different. So, it is a good idea to research how to care for your plant online. But, I’ll share a few universal tips with you. Keep in mind that all plants need at least a little bit of sun-light. Remember this when you are deciding where to position your plant in your dorm room. Although your plant may look really cute on your desk, it will not live long if it is not receiving any sunlight. Secondly, don’t over water. Because your plant will not be in the sun, the water will not evaporate as rapidly. This may cause your plant to get sick and rot. In a similar vein, don’t overhead water! For many of the same reasons, this may cause the leaves to rot and mold.

So, no matter what kind of plant you choose… have fun with it! Caring for a pet or a plant is a great way to destress from school work. Not to mention that the feelings of excitement when you first start to see the shoots sprout up from the soil! Good Luck!