Kristen Bryant-Girl Lounging Relax Logo 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

You Should Go to Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I like to think that I’m a good listener. I always saw myself in a “helping” profession, like a counselor or a social worker. I liked helping people. I felt like it was what I was meant to do. 

But to be perfectly honest, I’m not very good at accepting help myself. I like to do things for myself. Call it self-efficacy or call me stubborn. Maybe it’s a combination of both, but I was convinced that whatever was happening, whatever was going on in my life, I could handle it on my own. 

I had been to therapists before, but I never stuck with one for very long. It would always start the same: I would start going to the sessions ready to take charge of my life and my well-being before losing momentum. Or I just never felt comfortable enough to want to open up and talk about anything. Either way, I ghosted a lot. 

My Dad told me about a woman he had met when he was a pharmacist. She was an LPC in Latrobe. He told me I should give her a call, so I did. 

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, but I spent the next year learning a lot about myself.  

Most importantly, I know that it’s okay to not be okay sometimes, and it’s okay to get help if you need it. 

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.