This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Call it a quarter-life crisis or call it insecurity, but if life were a race, I’d always fall behind.

Unlike many of my peers, I didn’t have the luxury of leaving my tiny hometown for school.

Now, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’ve made lifelong friends here, and I am lucky to have met so many wonderful people.

But the fact remains: I was born, grew up, and went to school in my hometown.

I can’t help but feel a little jealous. There are so many opportunities and experiences that I feel like I missed out on. I would have loved to go to school in another town, another state even.

However, if I wasn’t here at IUP right here, right now, I might not be a double-major. I might not have such a close relationship with my family. I might not have adopted my cat, Ron. I might not have gotten involved in Her Campus either.

It might feel like I’m in a rut sometimes, but I have grown and changed so much as a person in my time at IUP.

I am very grateful for that.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.