This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

This past summer was interesting, to say the least. March felt like it signified the end of the semester once we were all sent online, but there was still work to be done. College students especially were doing their school work remotely. Once May hit, I was ready for a break. This summer felt like the longest summer ever, while still feeling like I didn’t do anything. They always say that when you grow up, time goes by faster, but where did my summer go? Considering we were (and still are) in the middle of a pandemic, it is easy to say that we had all the free time in the world, but I felt like I was always busy. Some of my favorite summer activities such as going to the drive-in movies, swimming, and floating down the river I didn’t even do. So where did the time go? 

To look at my summer in a glance I spent a lot of time with my boyfriend, I was there pretty much every day. June started as a normal summer; my family went on our annual beach trip and I was working at the same ice cream shop I’ve worked at since I was 17. This year however was a little different; in March I turned 21 and didn’t get to celebrate. In June I got to go to a bar and buy an alcoholic drink for the first time. 

July brought along a new job for me that had me working every morning and sometimes on Saturdays. I never had time to go swimming and have fun. Not only that, but my friends also worked opposite shifts so we never saw each other. I’d just be sitting with my boyfriend watching tv, cause what else was there to do? I would work, go up and lift in my boyfriend’s private gym, and then settle in for the night. 

August was spent thinking about school. I was packing up to move to my apartment, hearing everything would be sent online and thinking about what it would be like to live with a broken-up couple. It brought a lot of stress. This was also the first time since the pandemic I was spending time away from my boyfriend. We had been together all the time, so now having to be away for weeks at a time was a lot harder to process. 

Now here we are at the beginning of the new semester, I sit and wonder where my summer went. I had all these plans to do things and as time went on, I noticed I was running out of time. This year has simultaneously been the longest and quickest year of my life. Soon it will be October and Halloween will pass, then Christmas, and then 2020 will be over and we all hope 2021 will bring us some good news.

Brooke is an English education major at IUP and plans to graduate in spring 2022. Alongside Her Campus, she has also performed with the IUP Dance Theater and is part of the Kappa Delta Pi honors society and the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE).