This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When your best friend breaks your heart, you feel it in your gut.  You feel like you have been punched in the stomach in the middle of your first class of senior year.  

When your best friend breaks your heart, you have someone else ask her to sit at a different table at lunch.  You can’t even find the strength to tell her that she’s hurt you worse than you could even imagine.   

When your best friend breaks your heart, you get called to the principal’s office for cyberbullying.  You take your anger out on her in the worst way possible.   

When your best friend breaks your heart, you wonder what you had done wrong.  Was it all the times you told her how much you cared for this boy?  Was it all the times you told her how badly he hurt you? 

When your best friend breaks your heart, you lose the friendship forever.  You remove her from social media because you can’t stand to see how happy she seems. 

When your best friend breaks your heart, you’re somehow more hurt by what she’s done than what he has.  You know they are both equally to blame, but the pain is so much different.  She knew everything about you and still ignored your feelings that she knew so much about. 

When your best friend breaks your heart, you move on in the best way you know how.  You forgive and try to forget.  You exchange apologies and move on with your lives.  You remind yourself that at some point the friendship meant something.  The years and years of laughs, secrets, and sleepovers mean something.   

But when your best friend breaks your heart, your image of her is undeniably tainted and your friendship is now forever stuck in the past. 

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.