This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

During the school year, it is very common for anyone to experience stress and anxiety. Not only over schoolwork, but financial situations and building relationships as well. In fact, my sister has been in a very bad place mentally over the past month, and it has caused her to act out in ways she normally would not. My parents thought it would be best to get her tested and enroll her in UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital. She stayed there for about a week and was formally diagnosed with an adjustment disorder, which makes it difficult for her to adjust to new and bad situations. She went through a breakup with her ex-boyfriend, her best friend since kindergarten, and on top of that, I was leaving to go to college. It was difficult for her because we have always been very close; in fact we have shared a room almost our whole lives, and talked about everything together. 

Today, she still struggles a lot with worrying about constantly being enough, constantly being organized with her school work, and if she is okay and having everything in order. My family and I believe she may have some sort of bipolar disorder with manic episodes that occur. One minute she can be in a great mood, and the next she is crying, constantly worrying about everything. Even though school can be a lot under her circumstances, she does have a therapist at school and outside of school that she can talk to if she gets overwhelmed or anxious. My sister is the strongest person I know, dealing with her disorder(s), her busy schedule, and just making time for herself. In addition, dealing with people gossiping about her at school and constantly making rude remarks towards her. 

I share this story because it wraps up the main point of my article today. Mental health is not a joke and should be taken a lot more seriously than it already is. I encourage anyone who is struggling to reach out and talk to someone you can trust if it is a therapist, a close friend, a parent, grandparent, anyone. College and just life, in general, can be a lot to take in as we grow older. Always set aside time each and every day to reflect and focus on yourself, because at the end of the day, it is you who can make a change in your own life. Finally, be kind to one another, because you never know what someone may be struggling with. If you know someone who may seem in a bad place mentally, check in with them, always; because once it’s too late, it’s too late.

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.