This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

By: Michaela Catalano

Mid-term season is already here, which means endless amounts of studying, exams, and projects. This time of the semester can be very stressful for most college students, and it is very easy to get caught up in all the assignments and exams that are taking place. Here are some reminders for you that we can sometimes forget during the midterm season.

Taking a break is okay

Taking a break from studying and doing assignments is completely okay. Everyone needs to step away from their studies, and trying to cram so much in a short amount of time is only going to go in one ear and out the other. Breaking up the items on your to-do list and doing a little bit at a time is a more beneficial way to tackle it than doing it all at the same time. Incorporate breaks into your study time too. For example, spend 30 minutes of undivided attention on studying, then take a 5–10-minute break. This will give you some time to relax while getting your work done and it will help you from feeling burnt out as well since you will have more of a balance in your study time. Academics are very important and the main reason why we are at college, but taking a break from schoolwork is crucial for overall academic success.

One bad grade is not the end of thE WORLD

I get that we all want good grades and to achieve our goals of getting our degrees, but one bad grade isn’t going to make or break it. We all fail sometimes, and we don’t do our best, and that’s okay. All we can do is make the best of it. Don’t let one bad grade discourage you and make you think that the next exam you’re going to get a bad grade too. We aren’t perfect, and reminding yourself that one bad grade isn’t the end of the world can help you get back on track. You can also make this situation a learning opportunity. Make time to go to office hours with your professor to go over class material to see what you missed and learn from those mistakes. This way, you can learn the material and improve your understanding of the material.

make sure to take care of yourself

Taking care of yourself is one of the most important things you can do not just during the midterm season, but daily and throughout your life. Eating a balanced diet, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, and exercising will not only make you feel better overall, but it will also help you improve academically.  You can’t expect a car to run without gas or without getting routine maintenance done to it, so how can you expect to perform at your best abilities academically if you aren’t taking care of yourself? Taking care of yourself is one of the best things a college student can do. Make a routine when you have your meals, exercise, and go to sleep. Doing these activities around the same time every day can help you get in the groove of remembering to do these things, so you aren’t neglecting yourself or your basic needs.

Take some time to do things you love doing

Whether that be reading, going on a walk, arts and crafts, or watching your favorite show, whatever you enjoy doing, make time to do it. Life as a college student shouldn’t just be waking up, going to class, studying, doing assignments, and then going home and going to sleep. Living this lifestyle will only result in being burnt out, so engaging in an activity you enjoy is a great way to step away from your studies and get your mind off of your schoolwork. Even if it’s only for 30 minutes, taking some time to do an activity you enjoy doing is a great way to get in touch with yourself and relax from the overload of work that needs to be done.

use the resources on campus

Using the resources provided on campus is something that a lot of college students tend to forget about. Utilizing office hours with your professor, tutoring, and the writing center are some great resources that college students can use and are included in your tuition, so if you need extra help there are resources available for those who need help. Don’t be afraid or ashamed to ask for help either. Sometimes we can’t do everything ourselves and need the extra guidance from someone else to help us out. These people are here to help you out, so take advantage of the resources provided and get help if you need it. Every campus has different resources, but here is a link to a list of resources here at IUP

Support – Life at IUP – IUP

Michaela is a writer on the Her Campus team at IUP and is also on the social media team creating posts on the Instagram. At IUP, Michaela is majoring in Nursing, with the goal of becoming a travel nurse after she graduates. She is a sophomore and is expected to graduate in 2026. She is also a member of Theta Phi Alpha, a social sorority at IUP. In her free time, Michaela enjoys reading, crocheting, and spending time outdoors. She also enjoys going to the gym and walking her dog. She loves to listen to rock and pop punk music and enjoys attending concerts.