Wellness > Mental Health

Reasons Why Daylight Savings is Terrible for a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

If you didn’t already know, daylight savings is coming soon and I am VERY sad about it! It will happen on March 8th this year, which is next Sunday! If you are like me, sleep is a luxury. I hate losing an hour because it messes everything up. Here are a couple of ways daylight savings is terrible for college students but also some that are good!

Sleepy girl in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz on Unsplash

Already exhausted

I am already exhausted with having maximum credits, two jobs, and two clubs. At the end of the night, I’m exhausted but I lie there and can’t sleep. Some nights I toss and turn and cannot fall asleep at all! It really sucks when you have an exam and you want to wake up early to study but you can’t because you already started off with barely any sleep! I’m sure my peers are as excited about spring break as me next week.

Insomnia

You know it’s a hard day when you go to lay down after doing things nonstop, finally, get comfy, get on TikTok, and then remember that you have a paper due in 30 minutes! This sucks and ruins your whole mood. Now you have to lie awake and do that even though you just want to go to bed. It’s really hard when you finally get done and can barely keep your eyes open but then you lie there for an hour and cannot fall asleep. Sometimes it’s due to thinking about everything you still have to do but other times it just happens and suck!

Get woken up

The thing that really makes me mad is getting woken up on the day you can sleep in. Whether it’s an alarm you forgot to turn off, a pet, or a significant other, it’s the worst thing ever. You’ve been drained all week, just want to sleep in, and end up getting woken up and CANNOT fall back asleep. It’s truly the worst.

Light longer

One good thing about it though is that it stays light longer outside. This is important because as a woman in college it’s scary to walk outside alone, especially in the dark. It makes me feel safer and happier knowing it doesn’t get dark as fast. PLUS, it keeps the sun out of my eyes when driving home for the weekend.

Summer is coming

Another good thing about it is that it means warmer weather, summer, and happiness. I love the summer! Swimming, going to the beach, driving with the windows down, and just having fun times at night without freezing. I just want to bypass spring and all of the rain and go straight to my swimsuit!

Daylight savings has its perks as well as its flaws, but in the end its inevitable and we might as well appreicate the perks!

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.