Girl Holding Her Knees
Girl Holding Her Knees
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Online Class Transition and Never-Ending Boredom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As an honor roll student, I can say that this transition we are going through is detrimental to my education. I’ve always had really great grades in school. Even in elementary. However, I’ve also always learned in class and now that I don’t have that option and it’s hurting me.

people sitting in chairs in a classroom viewed from behind
Sam Balye on Unsplash

Let’s talk about the actual education first. I had one online class this semester, English. English is such an easy class to do online because you just write. I already like writing, as you can tell by the number of articles I have posted. I choose to do easier classes online so I can worry about my harder classes: my major classes. Biology is never an easy class, especially because the exams are intense.

people sitting in chairs and taking notes
The Climate Reality Project on Unsplash

Now, not only do I have to worry about transitioning to online which I hate, but I also have to get used to my hard classes online also, which are already challenging, and I have to learn them in a way I hate doing.

typing on a laptop in bed
Photo by Sincerely Media from Unsplash

Not just academics affect me during this time. What breaks my heart was leaving campus. I can barely take leaving in May and I was forced to leave last week. I broke my heart. I love being on campus, around everyone, having others to be there with me. Now I feel isolated and alone.

two different people\'s arms reach out in front of the St. Louis arch, their pointer finger and middle fingers coming together to make a heart
Jennifer Burk | Unsplash

I have nothing to do, nowhere to go, and no one to hang out with because of the isolation we are supposed to be under right now to stop the spread of COVID-19. It is so bad for mental health laying around all day, at home, with no one.

Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

For me, it is very hard leaving my campus. I may be exaggerating but I’m heartbroken right now. I almost feel empty. I had to leave my classes, peers, clubs, and my home away from home. It felt like leaving home all over again but this time I left home to go home. This home doesn’t feel the same as that home if you understand it at all. All I can say is this pandemic is hurting me more than isolation is helping me.

Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

Alicia is an aspiring doctor. She intends to graduate from IUP in 2022 and attend Medical School directly after to become a medical doctor specializing in pediatrics. She enjoys watching movies, hanging with friends, and community service. She is a dog lover and has a pug names Porky that makes her smile on her worst days. Family is everything to her as you probably have read.