This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

When ordering my textbooks for this semester, I received a HelloFresh coupon along with my package. My roommate and I have been intrigued by the subscription box and finally decided it was time to give it a try. So far, we have received one box containing three meals (6 servings total) and our feelings are mixed. Here are our thoughts: 

The meals we tried: 

• Shroom ‘n’ Swiss Pork Burgers 
  • Chicken & Bacon Stuffed Ravioli 
  • Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi 

The Meals Were Easy Enough to Make 

The prep work for each of these meals was pretty minimal and didn’t take much time. I found the steps to be easy to follow and as someone who doesn’t cook complex meals, I didn’t have any issues. The portioned ingredients were helpful, and you basically just chop things up and open the packaging. 

The Portion Sizes Were Filling 

I was skeptical when looking at how much food came for one meal (2 servings), but once we started cooking, I realized that there was more than enough food for my roommate and me. Although we didn’t end up having leftovers with any of the meals, we were always left feeling full. 

The Meals Were Pretty Tasty 

I enjoyed all the meals, but especially the Shroom ‘n’ Swiss Pork Burgers. I normally don’t eat pork, but we figured we’d give this meal a try since we’re big fans of mushrooms and the potatoes looked yummy. The burgers were the first meal we made, and I had high hopes. Luckily, we weren’t disappointed. 

The Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi, our second meal, left something to be desired. It smelt so good while we were cooking it, but it lacked flavor and was underwhelming.  

The Chicken & Bacon Stuffed Raviolis, however, were delicious and the portion size was perfect. I could probably have those kinds of ravioli every day for dinner and not get tired of them.  

Trying a Few More Boxes 

Because of our experience with our first HelloFresh box, we decided to order a second and third to really get the full experience of a subscription meal service. Judging the entire experience off one box didn’t seem like it would be completely accurate. Plus, who doesn’t want to have ingredients to make unique and quality meals shipped to their door every week?  

Stay Tuned

I will continue to document my experience with HelloFresh and get a better idea of whether it’s really worth the price. Our second box comes this week, so stay tuned for more reviews!

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.