Wellness > Mental Health

Ladies, Find The Person Who Will Fight With You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

As a girl who has been struggling with anxiety and depression for a long time, I know how hard it can be to be in a relationship with someone who doesn’t quite understand. When you have any type of mental illness, it’s hard to feel understood. So many people throw words depression and bipolar around so frequently that many people don’t take you seriously anymore.

I remember that before I finally started to talk about my mental illness to my family, I was an expert at keeping it hidden. I remember I would only breakdown here and there. I thought nobody understood what I was going through because nobody knew what I was going through.

(Photo by: Yuris Alhumaydy)

I remember finally breaking down and talking to my mom about everything I was feeling. I felt as it was hard to except it but, she was and still is my number one supporter today. No matter what I was feeling, when I would have an anxiety attack, I always felt like running and for the most part, I did. I never wanted to be comforted by anyone. Though you deserve someone who is going to comfort you in those times, it’s what you need.

When having a mental illness, it’s honestly hard to be in a relationship. It’s hard to find that someone who is patient and understanding enough to be by your side all the time. We all know that we don’t expect someone who knows “how to deal” with us when we go through dark times, but it’s nice to be held instead of being alone.

(Photo by: Sarah X Sharp)

Having someone help you go through a battle is hard. You don’t know how they are going to react or if they are even going to help you. When I had my first “breakdown” in front of someone I thought I could trust, he just turned up the music and looked straight ahead as if I wasn’t beside him. So, when I had a guy ask me if I was alright, and that he wanted to hear more about what I was going through, I was completely on edge. I didn’t know how to respond. I ended up opening up, and it was the best thing I could have done.

Don’t expect that someone to understand right away because the fact is that nobody is going to understand exactly what you need. You have to be just as patient with them as they are patient with you.

To have someone who understands why you don’t want to leave bed, but motivates you to get out of bed is amazing. To have that one person who doesn’t get mad when you are sad and they just hug you instead of bugging you. To have that one person who is a peace of mind instead of a worry is a keeper.

(Photo by: Scott Broome)

You can be with someone who doesn’t understand what you are going through. Don’t be with someone who doesn’t at least try to understand. Don’t be with someone who looks the other direction when you are going through something bad. You fight these battles everyday, all day alone, let someone help you. Don’t settle for less than that. You are a strong women who deserves to have someone trusting by your side.

"She remembered who she was, then the game changed."