How to Get Back in the College Groove

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

After four months of not touching a textbook and spending your days outside in the summer sun, it can be challenging to get back into the swing of things. I know the first couple weeks of school are always the hardest for me. You’re given a syllabus for every class, you have to learn the ways of your new professors, and you have to get used to taking a new route through campus every day. It can be overwhelming for new (and old) students. Here are a few ways to help get back into the college groove:

1. Take time to plan out your day

While you’re still trying to memorize your new schedule, sit down for about 20 minutes and write down everything you have to do for the next day. You can also look at a map of campus to see where exactly you have to go throughout the day. This will help you stay organized and not be rushing around at the last minute trying to figure out where to go.

(Photo by Tori Talks)

2. Meet up with friends

At the beginning of each semester, I like to meet up with my friends who I haven’t seen for awhile. Whether that is going to dinner or going shopping, it allows me to catch up and get my mind off of school for a little bit.

(Photo by Sign Up Genius)

3. Join a new organization

Keep things fresh by joining a new club that you’re interested in. It’s always good to meet new people at the beginning of the semester (and it’ll look good on a resume)!

(Photo by IUP)

4. Take some time for yourself

As much as I love being around people, I also need time to myself. In order to stay focused and decompress, I need some time to myself every day. During this time, I relax or get things ready for the next day. If I’m feeling homesick, I’ll call my family or friends from back home or see what they’re up to via social media.

(Photo by Free Pik)

5. Decorate your room

If you’re living in a dorm, the rooms and furniture can be kind of bland. I’ve found that decorating my dorm room or bedroom makes living at college so much easier. Once you add a vibrant tapestry and some pictures of your friends and family, it makes your room feel more comfortable. Just remember to not stay cooped up in your dorm all the time.

(Photo by Shutterfly)

Here’s to a great semester!

Kate is a senior Communications Media major at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from Bentleyville, Pennsylvania. She enjoys spending time with her family and friends, taking long naps, eating ice cream with lots of sprinkles, photography, musicals, walking her dog, and listening to 60s/70s music.