This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

I really only have one memory of my parents when they were together (and happy). 

My siblings and I were playing in the game room of our old house and my dad had just gotten home from work.  At this point, I was blissfully unaware of what divorce was.  I assumed all parents loved each other and that marriage was something that bound two people together forever – or so I was told.  My dad kissed my mom, which earned a choir of gags and the word, “Ew!” from me and my siblings.  I was probably around the age of 5.   

From then on, things went downhill.  Fights behind closed doors became a regular occurrence and confusion set in as we moved to our new house.  I still must have been pretty clueless at this point.  I was just basking in the fact that I got my own room and that we had a giant pool at our new house.   

Things seemed good for a while.  And I know that my parents tried their best to work things out, but some people are just better off apart.  I remember the “family meeting” where my parents announced their divorce and crying out of shock and confusion.  I didn’t understand. 

My dad kept the house and mom got her own place that we eventually moved into.  We started a routine where we’d stay with my mom during the weekdays and our dad would see us on the weekends.  I can’t lie and say it was easy, because really it was the farthest thing from it.  Packing a bag every single week to go back and forth became exhausting and half the time I never even unpacked.  

“Which house are you at? Mom’s or Dad’s?” became usual questions when hanging out with friends.  And don’t even get me started on holidays.  It’s a constant battle that I’m sure I’ll have to deal with for the rest of my life.  But things aren’t all bad. 

I still have two parents who love me to death and would do anything for me.  And fortunately, they gave me two siblings who I can count on no matter what.  Sure, having divorced parents sucks, but I would rather them be happy than stay in a marriage that wasn’t working.   I’ve learned a lot from growing up the way I did and for that I’m grateful.  I wouldn’t have wanted my life to be any other way.

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.