Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 2
Tapestry Bare Back Blonde Girl 2
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Getting Real About Anorexia Misconceptions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Many of my articles focus on my recovery and mental health process. This one is no different. Through the ages of 16 to now, I have heard many repeated questions and comments towards anorexia that have driven me nuts. Some are disrespectful, others are just lies.

To get some relief, I have decided to debunk some common misconceptions about anorexia (and other eating disorders).

“Why can’t you just eat?”

Listen, I can’t speak for all anorexics, but if we could “just eat,” we would not be in this situation in the first place. For many, food is terrifying and even the thought of it can drive us to panic attacks. 

It also takes a lot more than just food to be healthy. We need to learn how to love ourselves so that we do not get scared of food anymore. Many of us need to go to therapy to relearn how to enjoy things and find better coping mechanisms. Most importantly, we need to learn balance. 

Treatment centers don’t teach us how to eat normally or even how to exercise probably. This puts us at odds with ourselves once we are back into reality. They have us eat to gain without telling us portion control or anything. It’s what makes us relapse again.

So “just eating” is not even the start of it.

“If you think you’re fat, you must think I’m huge!”

This is probably the most common comment I have heard from others, and it is also the most annoying. Anorexics have body dysmorphia. We don’t see ourselves the way you see us, so even if you’re twice our size, we won’t see it that way. No matter what, we see ourselves as bigger than you even if we know your weight compared to ours.

Also, most of the time, we are not paying attention to you and your body. We are hyper-focused on ourselves and the ways we want to change. A common misconception is that anorexics are fatphobic. In reality, we don’t care what you look like. We care about our own appearance and trying to fit into our definition of perfect.

I personally have never thought of anyone else as “too big.” I only ever think that about myself.

“All anorexics are skinny.”

Eating disorders do not discriminate. Though the majority are white teen girls, there are many different ages, races and genders dealing with this disorder. I have met people as young as 10 and as old as 65 still battling anorexia. Most importantly, anorexics are not always easy to pick out,

People can starve themselves at any weight even if they are “heavier.” Because there’s a stereotype that anorexics all look like skeletons, many cases of the disorder go unreported or untreated. This leads to a lot of heart attacks and deaths as so many end up suffering with the problem alone.

It does not matter if you think the person could use a little weight loss. If they are starving themselves or restricting themselves, they need and deserve proper care and help.

These are just some of the few comments and misconceptions that anorexics deal with regularly. Though you may think the questions are lighthearted or they come from a curious place, they can be harmful to a person’s recovery.

If you really have concern for someone with an eating disorder or suspect someone of having one, the best thing you can do is read and study up on the disease. There is so much that is not taught in health classes about anorexia.

If you yourself are dealing with any eating disorder, it’s okay to ask for help. If you’re in recovery, don’t be afraid to tell someone when their comments are making you uncomfortable. Coming to an understanding is an easier way to start education.

A double Major in Communications Media and Journalism, passion for radio and for art