Finals Week is Coming: What Are Some Study Strategies?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Where?

Find a place to study that is quiet and helps you focus. Go to the local library, a study room, or somewhere that you know you learn best.

When?

Do not wait until the night before to study for a final exam. Always allow yourself enough time to study, because you are the only one who knows what your schedule is. Even pause and take breaks for a few minutes to help process information that you just studied.

How?

Everyone has their own study method that works best for them. Mine is using flashcards, it is the repetition that helps me remember important concepts. Find the best strategy that works for you and stick with it. Do not review the same information for an hour, switch back and forth between topics. Even form a study group with people you know in the class to help each other out.

Why?

If you really work hard and study, your work will pay off in your intended major later on in life. Pushing yourself to prove your best abilities will make you more determined to be successful.

Finally…

Get some sleep! Sleep helps you retain information a lot better than staying up all night stressing. The night before your final exam, get a good night’s rest and focus on yourself, eat a nutritious breakfast! Even dress nicer that day to feel more confident in yourself, the more confident the better you will perform!

Emily Beyer is a writer at the Her Campus Chapter at IUP. Beyond Her Campus, Emily works at a local elementary schools after school program and oversees a group of K-2 graders. She has been to many professional development conferences to further her studies in education. Emily is a senior at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in Early Childhood & Special Education. In her free time, Emily loves to write, shop, watch Grey's Anatomy, and listen to podcasts. Also, she enjoys going to the gym and working out as a distraction from her studies.