nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Confessions of an Empath

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

First thing’s first: I am a very empathetic person. Sometimes being able to see and “feel” emotions on such a deep cognitive level is overwhelming. The slightest change in someone’s tone or even the smallest shift in body language sends my brain into overdrive. Are you okay? Did I do something wrong? Is there something you need to talk about? What are you thinking right now? 

Maybe that’s why I try so hard to be there for others, especially on my off days. Sometimes I think that I just want the people in my life to know how important they are, but it’s so much more than that. 

There is so much sadness in the world. You can’t help but feel it. All of the pain, the heartache, all of the things that people don’t or simply don’t want to talk about. And let’s face it: life sucks sometimes. Like, it really and truly sucks. It’s hard not to feel alone sometimes. Sometimes, you just feel so, so small. 

Maybe I’m too empathetic for my own good. Maybe I just want the people in my life to recognize their worth. Maybe it’s a combination of both. But if you are ever feeling alone in the world, please understand that you aren’t. Even if you don’t believe it yourself, you matter. You are worthy of love and respect. And most importantly, you deserve better. You deserve to be cherished and understood. Someday, things will get better. And someday, you will feel alive again.

Michaela Shaw was the vice president and senior editor of the Her Campus chapter at Indiana University of Pennsylvania from 2020-2022. During her time as an undergraduate student, Michaela was also a member of Active Minds, Alpha Kappa Delta, the National Society for Leadership and Success, Sociology Club, and Psi Chi. She also volunteered with Hopeful Hearts, a grief support group for children and families. After completing an internship at Allegheny County Children, Youth and Families, she graduated in August with a dual baccalaureate in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Child and Adult Advocacy Studies. She likes video games, reading, rainy days, vinyl records, Thai food, and spending time with her cat, Ron.