This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Ever since I was a kid, I have been really sensitive to things most people aren’t; overhead lights, certain textures, food touching on my plate, a change in my routine, etc. This is something known as being a ‘Highly Sensitive Person’ and for me, it goes hand-in-hand with being an empath. Being an empath is usually seen as a good thing, and I’m constantly told that it’s what makes me, me. I’ve grown up being kind to everyone, even if I don’t know them, and I take pride in being a kind person. As an empath I notice everyone’s behavior and I take into account others’ emotions before my own. I have always known I was an empath, but I didn’t know I was a highly sensitive person until starting off my freshman year in college, when I really started to notice my sensitivity for certain things. For me, being an empath and a highly sensitive person collided with each other and I didn’t know how to handle it, so I began to read a book about it. 

As a society we have always given props to empaths, but it is important to know that it isn’t always a positive thing in their lives. It is also very common to be called a sensitive person as an insult, but it is extremely important to know that sometimes people can’t control their sensitivity. While I didn’t know I was considered a highly sensitive person until recently, I always knew I was sensitive. Everything would make me emotional, and I take everything extremely personally. As a young adult, I am still struggling with how to handle all of these new emotions, but I have started to really dig deep into ways to cope with my empathy and sensitivity. I read books with coping skills, and I try really hard to not absorb the feelings of those around me. I avoid situations that enhance my sensitivity, like big crowds, or groups of people I don’t know very well. 

As I began an entirely different routine, with entirely different people, I’ve come to realize how sensitive I am to a lot of different things. The slightest change in my routine, or having a lot of assignments due really affects my stress levels. I live in a constant state of anxiety and stress, and it is extremely exhausting. Because I am an empath, I tend to absorb the feelings of those around me, and I notice when the mood has changed, even slightly. Having a roommate means that I feel not only my emotions, but also theirs. As I go through life, I feel everything at intense levels, something others don’t fully understand. This makes it hard for me to understand what I am feeling, and why. 

Although I am not finished with the book yet, I recently started to read “The Empath’s Survival Guide” By Judith Orloff, MD, which has taught me that being an empath is a lot harder than people realize. I highly recommend this book to anyone who thinks they might be an empath, or a highly sensitive person. It gives extremely helpful coping skills, and reasoning behind why you might feel a certain way, or do a certain thing. 

Mikenna McFadden is a member of the HerCampus IUP chapter, and her writing varies across the entertainment aspect of news. Mikenna is also apart of the social media team, where she posts relatable content on the club's TikTok account! At IUP, Mikenna is expected to graduate in the Spring of 2027. In Mikenna's free time she enjoy reading, watching movies, and listening to music. Some of her favorite singers include Taylor Swift, Gracie Abrams, Harry Styles, Renee Rapp, Olivia Rodrigo, Tate McRae, and Noah Kahan! Mikenna is a huge fan of all of these things, and they spark a lot of her inspiration for her articles!