5 Poetry Books to Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

In the past few years, there has been a resurgence of love for poetry among people our age. When we used to think of poetry we would default to something that we read in school that we felt was awful because we were forced to analyze it so much. Now, poetry books have become relevant once again and people are openly talking about writers and sharing poetry books with friends. My friend and I have recently started sharing poetry books back and forth. If you’re looking to start reading poetry or are looking for a new poetry book to read, I highly recommend one (or all) of these five books!

Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kapur

The book it set up in four parts that are extremely interesting. Depending on what is happening in your life, you will relate more strongly to one section or you may relate to them all. Regardless of your reasoning for wanting to read a poetry book, this is not one you would regret.

Why I’m Not Where You Are by Brianna Albers

I got this book by accident. I went to an open mic night and I picked it up and read the first pages and could not stop reading. This book pulls at heart strings. While it focuses on relationships, there are sections that are so profoundly breathtaking that you will read them again and again and again.

The River is Everywhere by Amanda Oaks

I had the wonderful opportunity to edit this book before it went to print. This book is so incredibly written and makes you think so deeply. It is powerful and fantastic. I revisit this book when I am looking for inspiration or want to expand my creativity.

I Hope This Reaches Her in Time by R.H. Sin

I found this through Snapchat and it is stunning. While it may be short, it is very powerful and it is a book that you will want to go back to or just read again because you went through it too quickly the first time.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

It’s a fad and I avoided it for as long as possible, but now I am in it and I love it. Rupi is brilliant and this book is more than I could have ever imagined. If you’ve been avoiding this book because you didn’t want to look basic or go along with the flow, just give in—you won’t regret it.

Poetry books are amazing and act as a wonderful gift. I highly recommend picking up one as soon as possible.

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.