3 Signs You May Want to Head Home for the Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Living at college is an incredible experience. Being away from home while not fully being on your own gives you a kind of freedom that you just can’t explain. This freedom; however, can also come with a lot of stress. One of the best ways to combat stress at college is to take the weekend and go home, if you’re able. Here are 3 signs that it might be best to head home for the weekend.

1. You’re overly stressed.

(Picture by energepic.com)

A normal amount of stress is expected in college, but if you have experienced one of those weeks where you’re barely keeping your head above water and everything seems to be falling apart, heading home can counter all of that. Going home allows you to be encouraged by those around you instead of just over the phone.

2. You’re having a hard time sleeping

(Photo by Burst)

Sleepless nights happen to all of us every once and awhile, but if you find yourself tossing and turning more than sleeping then I recommend going home. Sometimes when I’ve had a particularly busy week, I have a hard time winding down because I’m too busy thinking about everything else that needs to be done. Being home eases that feeling for me and gives me a chance to catch my breath.

3. You need re-centered

(Photo by SplitShire)

Being away from home is a truly liberating feeling, but sometimes you can feel like you’ve lost your way or that your roots aren’t planted as deeply as you thought. Going home allows you to remember where you came from and what you want to do.

While there isn’t always a reason to go home, sometimes you just feel the need. When that feeling comes, don’t ignore it. Sometimes all you need is a little time with your family to get you back to feeling like yourself.

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.