photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

10 Ways to Give Yourself a Break During Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Finally, the time has come that all students have been itching for: Thanksgiving Break. During the ten-day break, we get to indulge in home-cooked meals, sleeping in comfy beds, and seeing beloved pets. But sometimes during the much-anticipated break, students don’t even allow themselves to catch a break. Getting back to our hometown jobs can leave us with almost no time for anything, including the endless assignments, exams, and projects we have to prepare for. Even thinking about finals week coming almost immediately after we get back to school is a stress overload.

Though it’s important to complete our assignments and study for our exams, it’s also important to allow ourselves time to relax. We’ve worked so hard this semester and we deserve to give ourselves a break during Thanksgiving Break! Her Campus has compiled a list of budget-friendly relaxtion ideas for your break:

1. Get a manicure

This might be out of the realm of possibilities considering our tight budgets, but getting a manicure doesn’t mean you have to go to the salon. Go out and find a cool new shade of nail polish and give yourself an at-home mani-pedi. 

2. Take a bath

Nothing is more relaxing than taking a bubble bath, especially in the comfort of your own home. Light some candles, play some music, and let your mind unwind.

3. Buy your favorite candy

Treat yourself to your favorite sweet treat! We all crave candy sometimes, or all the time, so give in to your sweet tooth.

4. Binge watch Netflix

Now is the time to finally snuggle on the couch and binge watch House of Cards until 3 a.m. without worry about keeping your roommate up!

5. Get your eyebrows done

Tweezing eyebrows can be such a hassle, so let a professional do it. Feeling the hot wax on your skin is also super relaxing, for a couple seconds, until they rip back the cotton. Pain is beauty. And c’mon, who doesn’t love seeing their eyebrows shaped and cleaned up, it’s a great feeling!

6. Read a book

It’s hard to find time to read a book in college when trying to balance school, work, a social life, and extra curricular activities. At home, there’s a chance to get away from all of that. So let your mind escape properly by picking up one of your favorite books or even going out and buying a new one.

7. Bake a cake

There’s finally food in the pantry that isn’t ramen noodles and mac and cheese. Go out an buy a cake mix or grab one in your parents’ cabinet and bake yourself a cak, cookies, or cupcakes. It’s always rewarding to make something, and eat it too.

8. Color

No matter what age you are, coloring will always be a stress relief. And this activity costs little to nothing! Find some crayons or colored pencils and either draw a picture of your own, or print a picture and color it in. 

9. Take a drive

Coming back to our hometown is always bitter sweet. Take a drive by blasting some of your favorite tunes that you and your high school friends listened to, follow some back roads, and let the memories unfold.

10. See family and friends!

You’re finally home for ten whole days, so make it count by making time for the people that mean the most to you.

My name is Mary Romeo, and I'm a junior at Indiana University of Pennsylvania majoring in communications media, and minoring in journalism. I have a passion for reading and writing. Not only do I contribute to HerCampus but I am also the lead writer for the school newspaper, The Penn. I also write and perform my own segments on the IUP-TV show, Witticism, where I give my best (sarcastic) advice to those in need. You may also see as an anchor for the IUP NewsCenter. I hope to one day write and possibly make a 30 second appearance in film or television.