Victoria Lacy: President of Indiana Student Cinema Guild

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

THE BASICS:Name or Nickname: VictoriaYear & Age: Junior, 20Hometown: Newburgh, INMajor(s): Telecommunications and FrenchExtra Curricular Activities: Filmmaking, running, volunteering and participating in Independent CouncilSister or Independent: IndependentDream Job: To work as a film producer for a production company. Also, to make promotional videos for non-profits

FAVES:Film: “Remember the Titans”Doc/Mockumetary: “I AM”, directed by Tom ShadyacTV Show: “Parks and Rec”Genre: DramaDirector: I can never pick one!Actor: Chriss PrattActress: Meryl StreepStory to Shoot: I just love making things that make people smile or [that] inspire people. There is a lot of negativity in the world, and I hope to use video as a medium to add a little more positivity to our lives.

HCIU: How did you get involved with the Indiana Student Cinema Guild?VL: When I was a freshman, I heard people talking about the club, and I saw the chalking around campus. I decided to go to the callout meeting when a friend invited me. I fell in love with it because it was the place where I could meet and work with people who wanted to make films outside of class; a place where I could prepare for my future and build my portfolio. I am thankful that I have gained that experience, as well as some really good friends, out of the organization.

HCIU: What are your responsibilities as president of INSCG?VL: As the president, I am essentially in charge of overseeing all of the functions of the organization. I plan the weekly meetings and work with our officers to make sure that all of our events and projects are running smoothly. It is a lot of administrative-type work; a lot of organization and planning to make sure we are functioning properly to meet our goals as a club.

HCIU: What types of projects have the INSCG completed?VL: As an entire club, SCG has made multiple videos together, including some narratives and some promotional videos for different organizations. However, our main purpose is to provide the opportunity and resources that students need to improve, create and network outside of the classroom. So overall, there have been hundreds of productions that have come out of our organization [and] created through collaboration amongst the members.

HCIU: What has been your favorite part of your leadership?VL: My favorite part about the organization is getting to help people turn their ideas into finished videos. Making a movie is not a small task; it is really time consuming and takes a lot of effort and dedication. So, when our members are inspired and complete a project, it is an awesome feeling to know that we helped them; whether it was by providing equipment or just inspiring them to write down their idea.

HCIU: What should Hoosiers expect to see from INSCG this year?VL: This year, we have a lot of cool stuff planned. In addition to a lot of new equipment that our members can access, we have workshops and club productions in the works. Our members are also working on a lot of awesome projects of their own.

HCIU: How can Collegiettes get involved?VL: It is easy. We have meetings every Thursday at 8 p.m. in the Radio and Television Building, room 251. To become a member, all you have to do is pay dues and sign a simple membership agreement. Everyone is welcome to come stop by and see what we are all about.

*Photos courtesy of Victoria Lacy and the Indiana Student Cinema Guild Facebook page

Kelsey is a junior at Indiana University where she is majoring in journalism and concentrating in informatics. She began her Her Campus experience as a contributing writer in Fall 2012. Kelsey was incredibly excited to begin her new role on the HCIU team as co-campus correspondent last fall. When she's not studying or writing, Kelsey enjoys a sipping a strong cup o' joe, reviving thrift store wardrobes and drooling over Netflix eye candy.