jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Movie Marathon for a Single Girl’s V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

So maybe you’re a little sad you’re not out on a cute date with the boy of your dreams. Don’t worry, you’ll find him eventually. For now, there’s no better way to get through the dreaded day then by spending the night having an Anti-Valentine’s Day movie marathon with all of your single girlfriends.

Here are Her Campus IU’s top picks:

1. Legally Blonde

This one might seem cliché, but it’s for a good reason. Who can’t be distracted by Elle Woods getting her heart broken, then going off and killing it at Harvard Law School and in the courtroom? Elle also has credits for the legendary bend-and-snap. This adds up to one perfect Anti-V-Day movie. This movie is all about being happy with who you are and not letting anyone get you down (#girlpower); a message every single girl needs to hear on Valentine’s Day.

Image courtesy of Wikipedia

2. Scream

Nope, this isn’t all that obvious for an Anti-V-Day movie marathon, but there really is no better day for a slasher movie than a single girl’s V-Day. Horror movies are a great escape. Just imagine it’s your ex at the end of all of the bad things happening, and it’s all good.

Image courtesy of Amazon

3. Pitch Perfect

Comedies are great for a single girl’s V-Day movie marathon. Get wrapped up in this hilarious story featuring some of your favorite female actors. Anna Kendrick and Rebel Wilson, anyone? The songs are catchy, too. If you haven’t seen Pitch Perfect yet, watch it before the second one comes out this May.

Image courtesy of DVD Released Date

4. John Tucker Must Die

This movie probably came out when you were in elementary or middle school, and it’s just as good now as it was back then. Jesse Metcalf is great, of course, but the real standout are the girls in John Tucker Must Die. The dynamic between Ashanti, Arielle Kebel, Sophia Bush and Brittany Snow makes the movie. They’re hilarious and have some serious girl power. This all adds up to an A+ single girl’s V-Day movie.

Image courtesy of Amazon

5. Magic Mike

If what you’re looking for this Valentine’s Day is some serious eye candy, then this is your movie. Channing Tatum as a stripper with a good heart? Yes, please. Magic Mike XXL comes out this summer, so make sure you’ve watch the original before then.

Image courtesy of DVDS Released Dates

6. Any of the Bring It On movies

Cheerleading, great music (Rihanna is in the 3rd one), and girl power, what else could you ask for? Watch any of the five and HC promises you won’t be disappointed on your Anti-Valentine’s Day.

Image courtesy of Suggest

Instead of sticking to a negative mindset this Valentine’s Day, end the day by thinking about all of the great people in your life. When the time is right, you’ll find someone. For now, enjoy your single movie marathon V-Days while you still can. 

Melanie Metzman is a sophomore at Indiana University majoring in Journalism and Communication and Culture. When she's not busy in class or grabbing a latte and studying at the IMU Starbucks, you can find her working out, blogging (sometimesiwritethings.weebly.com), reading magazines, watching rom-coms, or spending time with her sorority sisters in downtown Bloomington. She is obsessed with all things fashion and beauty and dreams of writing for a major fashion magazine after graduation. Keep of with Melanie on Twitter @melanie_metzman