Leah Tribbett: Videographer and Owner of Leah Trib Productions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

THE BASICS:
Name and Nickname: 
Leah Tribbett commonly referred to as TribYear & Age: Senior & 22Hometown: South Bend, INMajor(s): TelecommunicationsExtra Curricular Activities: PizzaSister or Independent: Alpha Xi DeltaDream Job: Ellen Degeneres’ personal assistant

FAVES:TV Show: “Modern Family”Film: “Garden State”                                                   Director: Judd ApatowQuote: No artist is pleased. There is no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a queer divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps us marching and makes us more alive than the others.” – Martha GrahamCamera Lens: Canon 85mmEditing Software: Premiere Pro CS6

HCIU: Give us the load down. What got you into videography, and when did you know you wanted to pursue it as a career?LT: With the guidance of my incredible media teacher in high school, I was struck by the passion for videography at an early age. With that, I began filming, producing, and creating whenever I could.

HCIU: Your work is amaze-balls! Were you always that gifted with a camera or was it something you had to learn?LT: In all honesty everything I made when I first started off was pretty terrible, and I knew it. But I still loved the act of creating and with that I grew, I practiced, and I learned. Post graduation I allotted myself every opportunity I could (weddings, promotional, event, and even a few embarrassing music videos). I worked my way up, purchased my own equipment, began networking, and immersed myself into the big ‘ol world of media in Indiana.

HCIU: What types of projects have you worked on recently and/or are currently working on? LT: I just recently filmed Zeta’s Big Man on Campus event here at the IU Auditorium.

HCIU: What’s your favorite part of the video production process?LT: Oh. You’re hitting all the hard questions. I am going to go with post-production. I love the process of taking what I’ve shot and bringing it all together in one cohesive form. Every video has a story and I feel grateful to be able to help tell it.

HCIU: Sometimes being filmed can be a little intimidating. What’s your trick for getting people to feel comfortable in front of a camera?LT: I always try to meet with my clients beforehand to get to know one another. You’re right; people freeze when they have a camera shoved in their face. Being able to get to know my clients on more of a personal level relieves a lot of anxiety that people have in front of cameras often times.If I don’t have the opportunity to meet before, my overall sarcastic and lively demeanor sometimes rids those initial camera shy jitters.

HCIU: What would be your advice to anyone wanting to pursue a career in videography?LT: Create. Create. Create. You have to fight your way through the gap from good to great. Never stop embracing the urges that motivate you and honor your drive as an artist. 

You can check out Leah’s work on her website, her Facebook page and her Instagram @leahtribproductions.

*All photos courtesy of Leah Tribbett

Calley Cederlof is a Senior at Indiana University studying Journalism. She is a born and raised California girl, but moved to Indiana to pursue her dreams of becoming a writer , and also because she really likes cold weather (joking). Her loves include fashion, her chihuahua Kevin, and pickles (not joking). When she is not spending her time writing for HCIU, Calley can be found perusing local vintage shops or reading her horoscope whilst sipping a very strong cup of coffee. She hopes to one day live in New York City, reside in a shoebox of an apartment and live life the way Carrie Bradshaw would want her to: writing her little heart out and keeping sweaters in her stove.