The Importance of Being Basic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IU chapter.

With social media sites like Instagram and Twitter increasing in popularity, the term “basic” has gradually become more used to describe people, particularly girls, who enjoy mainstream things. In a society that strives so hard to stray from mainstream things, many have neglected to acknowledge what’s wrong with being a part of and liking things that are considered mainstream or “basic”? “Basic” has almost become a negative way to refer to someone or some trend, but “basic” is not bad. Here are some “basic” things providing us with a few reasons why “basic” is actually okay.

1. Ugg boots and Northface fleeces are comfortable, cute and warm – wear them! Who cares if every other girl is? People buy them for a reason.

2. Pumpkin spice lattes are delicious! Why be ashamed of staying warm and drinking an amazing drink, especially when it’s only available for a few months of the year?

3. Instagram your bottomless mimosas brunch. It makes for a great picture and people should be salivating over your far from “basic” meal.

4. Watch “The Bachelor” or “The Bachelorette.” It’s basically one of the most entertaining shows and it needs its “basic” viewers to keep tuning in.

5. Saying “I can’t even.” Sometimes that’s the best way to describe how you feel and obviously other people feel the same.

6. Saying “literally.” Some words and sentences need that extra emphasis.

7. Loving Nicholas Sparks movies and books. These stories are often very relatable and sometimes we just need a good cry. What’s wrong with that?

8. Wearing makeup to the gym. It’s always good to look your best, even if it’s at the gym. You never know whom you may meet.

9. You have your wedding planned via Pinterest. Many of us, Collegiettes, dream of our wedding day from the time we are little girls. We need to start planning!

10. Abbreviate words. As long as you’re not writing a paper or talking to an elder or someone in a formal setting, then, by all means, say “totes” instead of “totally” or “margs” instead of “margaritas.” You’re not hurting anybody.

These are just a few mainstream things that are considered “basic,” but do any of these sound bad? The majority of people get excited about these things or other things that are deemed to be “basic.” Liking “basic” things or being called “basic” doesn’t make you are any less unique. If anything, it makes you more normal as opposed to strange. Don’t be concerned with being called “basic”, because enjoying popular trends is far from bad. Instead own being basic; own being yourself. 

International Studies student at American University.