Girl In The Road Winter
Girl In The Road Winter
Anna Thetard / Her Campus
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ithaca chapter.

So, I had my first college winter break, ever. All throughout my high school winter breaks, I remember thinking about how excited I was for an entire month off school when I got to college. Now, sitting here as a second-semester freshman, let me just say, it was not at all what I expected. 

Okay, don’t get me wrong, in the beginning, it was euphoric. Emerging from a stressful, sleep-deprived, soul-sucking finals week, having ultimately nothing to do was such a relief. I got to see my friends who I haven’t seen since the summer, spend time with the fam, sleep in until whenever I wanted, and just relax. And that was great.

Celina Timmerman-Oversized Tshirt And Cup
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

For the first couple of weeks.

Christmas and New Year’s came and went rather quickly, and then my winter break somehow came to a sudden halt.

I was bored as shit.

Both my younger sisters went back to school, my parents had work, and I was at home with my dog. This feeling of complete uselessness was something both unfamiliar and unsettling to me. I personally thrive when my days are packed to the brim with activities and events. But back in my small town in New Jersey, my days were slow-paced and lackluster.

Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

Also, I haven’t gotten my license yet. Oops. But honestly, it never really crossed my mind until winter break. That’s when it really hit me. I literally could not go anywhere. I was stuck in my house, and unless one of my friends offered to drive, I was stagnant.

And then, on the rare occasion where I did go out or got invited somewhere, I realized I had to notify my parents that I was heading out. A couple of my friends texted me out of the blue, saying they were outside in the car and that I should come out to go somewhere. I quickly threw on a jacket and grabbed my phone and keys to leave, and as I was making my way towards the door, my mom, stationed on the living room couch, said, “Hey! Where are you going?”

sad girl in blue sweater near window
Anthony Tran

My hand poised above the doorknob, I responded, “Out!” That did not satisfy my mother. “With who? What time will you be back? Who’s driving you?” It was as if I hadn’t been away from home for the past few months, doing my own thing whenever and wherever I wanted. I answered the questions and quickly left my home.

Let me tell you, that was a weird feeling. It’s like you’re essentially an adult but simultaneously treated like a kid. When I am at college, I pretty much do whatever I want. My parents check up on me sometimes, maybe once or twice a week at most, but it’s always generic and never about the details. Now that I was home, they asked for the details. I mean yeah, I understand. I am in their house, it’s respectful to let them know when I’ll be coming and going. I have no other way to describe it other than just plain weird.

This winter break was without a doubt MUCH needed, but I am happy to back here at Ithaca College for another semester!

My name is Natalie Tribiano and I am a freshman Integrated Marketing Communications major at Ithaca College. I have a passion for writing and am excited to be a part of HerIthaca! I am an avid coffee consumer who loves to exercise, and enjoys stepping outside of my comfort zone. My dream is pursue a career that allows me to express myself creatively, whether that be through media, writing or communication.
Allaire is an inquisitive and confident lady who loves to watch reruns of her favorite shows (Bones anyone?) and enjoy the finer things in life like sand in between her toes, the sun on her skin and chocolate ice cream. Allaire is a senior Sociology major and Women and Gender Studies minor with aspirations to be a human rights lawyer and a songwriter. She is passionate about music, traveling and social justice.