This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Inter SG chapter.

Ever since day one all you can think about is graduating. Holding that very expensive piece of paper up high and saying, “I did it”. We work endlessly and sometimes over work ourselves just to stand up in front of everyone and, while most definitely crying, reach the end of a long journey. I still have about a year left in me, but I was lucky enough to cross paths with people who have reached what we all want. The finish line.

I met Christian Torres Álvarez last semester in one of my English classes. He quickly made himself known as a very outgoing and funny guy. He, very graciously, agreed to take a few minutes of his time and answer a few questions about his college experience, –especially since he is not a native Spanish speaker–, and what he is doing after winning such a huge race. He got his bachelor’s degree in English Education at a secondary level last December.

HC: Did you always study here? At the Interamerican University of San German?

CT: “…started and finished there too”  

HC: How was your experience studying here?

CT: “All in all, I wouldn’t change it for anything. Faculty are ‘top notch’. Professors are disciplined and student – focused. They care for their students and it shows. The campus is beautiful, and I think it’s worth it to study there just for the environment.”

HC: Did it affect you in any way that you’re not a native Spanish speaker?

CT: “Personally I’ve been struggling with Spanish since 8th grade. I still [mess] up every now and again with accents and proper pronunciation and I have had days where ‘Google’ translate was my ally. With my limited understanding of the Spanish language, I was in constant fear of oral presentations and written work. Basically, any and every class that wasn’t English based was pretty scary for me.”

HC: Since graduating, what are you doing now and are you planning on continuing your studies?

CT: “I work as an educational promoter. The future? I live in the moment. But seriously, I wouldn’t mind continuing my studies. A professor once told me “we never stop being students, that includes us teachers” –  Prof. Carlos Juan Rivera Tirado”

HC: If you could tell something to the “freshman you”, what would it be?

CT: “To those first years I would say stay strong and be diligent in your studies! Don’t be afraid to socialize and create bonds that will last a lifetime.”

HC: Anything you regret?

CT: “If anything, I regret not joining more clubs while I was there and leaving immediately after a class ended and hoping in my car and driving home. I kind of regret not giving my all in some classes, especially at the beginning.”

HC: Lastly, if you could go back in time and change one thing about your college experience, what would it be?

CT: “I would definitely change my attitude towards college. I thought I could breeze through my courses.”

In the end, we all face our own individual struggles, some bigger than others, but we’re all here with the same goal. To achieve a higher level of education. Take some of his advice; make friends, join clubs, give it your all, because in just a few short years, you’re going to graduate and it will all be over. You can’t go back in time, but it’s never too late to try something new. You never know who is going to become an important part of your life later, so be nice to each other, help everyone you can and don’t be rude to professors, they’re there to help you out. Don’t be scared to ask questions and don’t worry about embarrassing yourself, no one in college really judges anyone. We are all on the same boat.

Nashali Galarza

Inter SG '20

Hello there, My name is Nashali Galarza and I'm in an English Major. I love reading and the art of writing. Being the Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus Inter SG was an important project for me which requires a lot of energy and dedication. I have published my first poetry book in December 2017 and will publishing the second one in October 2019. Also I am always looking for new writing adventures.♥