This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Indy chapter.

Hi, it’s me. Your local hype girl. Doing the hype thing. LOVE YOURSELF. Now look, I know, I know, and I know again to all of your self-doubt and the lies you tell yourself. However, that is ALL they are: LIES. You’re listening to everyone else’s opinion about you and believing them when you shouldn’t. This is probably the hardest lesson in life to learn, but you have got to stop caring what other people think about you. It puts a real downer on your vibe, bro. No, but seriously. My favorite quote ever is: 

What other people think about you isn’t your business.”

I can’t recall who said it, but I probably got it from Pinterest while I was looking for some other self-love quotes. I’ve noticed this particular subject is a large problem among us these days because of social media and there being, sort of, an expectation to do this or to have that. But here’s the secret: you can do whatever you want and you can be whoever you want to be. You don’t have to conform to the norm and you don’t have to conform to non-conformity. You can actually take whatever life path you want, at whatever speed you want, take as many breaks as you want, switch paths if you want. Do you get it now? It doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing, or what they have to say about what you’re doing. Someone ABOVE you is never going to talk down on you, the only ones who have judgey things to say come from below. 

Now, next question. Is that your problem? Or theirs? Refer to the above quote.

Back?

K. Great.

IT IS ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY THEIR PROBLEM. Excuse the caps, I’m pumped about this. Are you going to know this person in 10 years? No? Screw their opinion. Is their opinion of you so dire that you will actually either:

A: die

B: get extremely ill and die

C: die but harder because there is really no other reason to care about the opinion of anyone unless it’s your doctor telling you to stop eating cherries or your abdomen will explode?

No? SCREW THEIR OPINION. Can you do anything about THEM being bitter and messy? No? Then it simply does not matter what they have to say about you. Live your life for you, just like they are. You’re the one that has to live this life you’re creating. Make it enjoyable, or why are you even here? 

Your local hype girl, OUT. Peace.

Professional Writing Major Literature and coffee lover
Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Indy/ Class of 2022/ Marketing and Political Science / Feminist/ Aquarius