Work-From-Home graphic of #WFH illustrated.
Catherine Bixler
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

To say that the last few weeks have been a whirlwind for all students would be an understatement. Like every news program and email you’re subscribed to has noted, this is an unprecedented time for all of us. Kindergarteners to college students are using Zoom from their dining room tables across the nation – sometimes exuding the same level of excitement seeing their friend’s faces again. We have transitioned to online classes, seen changes to curriculums, and for some like me, have no access to materials or facilities. 

One way I’ve made sure my time at home is productive (in addition to a cup of coffee) is to make sure I’m comfortable in the space I’m working in. For instance, I’ve cleared off my old high school desk and redecorated the space with a pencil cup, framed photo, sticky note pad, and a succulent I brought back home. I have an old art project hanging on the wall in front of me, so I can look up at it if I need visual space to think or process information. Most importantly, I need to be in comfortable clothing. Although it’s tempting to roll out of bed and into your homework, getting yourself into a new outfit to start your day is the recommended way to go. Here are a few outfit staples I would recommend!

yoga
zen yoga bear

1. Leggings

Leggings, be it your expensive Lululemon’s or Costco pair (??‍♀️) are a great fit. I find these especially helpful because I tend to want to switch from my desk in my room to the sofa in the living room. It’s also a great transition piece for walking or jogging in your neighborhood. Don’t be afraid to go catch some sun, as long as you’re social distancing!

Nordstrom

2. ~Anything~ Stretchy

Perhaps you detest leggings? In that case, a good substitute could be anything stretchy like joggers, sweatpants, an old bootcut paid with a shot waistband… we all have one. 

Kalias

3. A Shirt that Makes You Feel Good

I’m a big fan of my comfy white sweater – it’s acrylic knit and has patterned detailing down the center and has balloon sleeves. Maybe it’s the certain details I’m fond of or the warmth it provides; either way, it’s everything I need for a day of staying at home. If you have to participate in a Zoom class, perhaps wear a blouse or shirt that you would normally wear to class. If you’re anything like me, dressing up just makes me feel infinitely more excited and prepared for the day!

The Lalaassorted Nail Polish
Her Campus Media

4. Accessorize!

Unearth those scrunchies, hair ties, and wraps. Take some rings out or a necklace you haven’t worn in a while. Wrap your neck in a smooth scarf! It may seem silly, but this could be another way to boost your mood. Go the extra mile and paint your nails too! If you have an onslaught of lecture videos or podcasts, I’ve found it really therapeutic to paint my nails as I listen. Wearing accessories may also create a sensory experience for you as you’re typing (perhaps distracting for some) which can act as fidgeting devices. For example, when I’m typing out a response to one of the videos or podcasts, I tend to roll my rings or put my hair up, as I process how I’m going to write it.

Hi there, I'm studying Painting and Graphic Design at the University of Illinois! I'm also an alum of the University of Leeds study abroad program (spring 2019). I'm interested in making illustrations and social media content, reading for fun, and love bike riding. I'm staying a fifth year to complete both of my degrees. I also enjoy taking Advertising, Business, and History classes too.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.