This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Seasonal depression is real. So real. And I hate to say it, it’s even more real in a college full of students who are just as lonely, depressed, stressed, and sad as you might be. All of the sudden you’ve reached THAT point in the semester. Home feels a little farther away, that one nine am lecture is starting to feel incredibly optional, and you just can’t find enough time to properly prioritize your mental health. 

Hang in there. 

As the end of the semester approaches us, and the weather has begun to cool, here are four holistic ways to remain mindful of remaining mentally and emotionally balanced in the season of declining temperature 

Prioritize Vitamin D, even with a lack of sun. 

Taking a break from steamy hot summer nights, the sun has grown shy. 

What does this mean? With the sun gone more often, and our access to Vitamin D leaving with it, Vitamin D deficiency is one reason why you could be experiencing depressive symptoms like fatigue, mood fluctuations, poor concentration, and sleep disturbances.

In order to avoid Vitamin D deficiency try:

• Walking the long way to class in the morning/midday to stay out in the sun for as long as possible
  • Eating more Vitamin D rich foods, like fish and fortified dairy
  • Considering taking Vitamin D supplements to affirm that no matter where you day leads, you’ve gotten enough Vitamin D to keep your brain and body happy

Stay Active, to boost serotonin.

Oh boo-hoo working out is harder because “it’s cold”…Same. 

While it may be harder to consistently workout, whether due to unforeseen circumstances like the weather or even simply not feeling up for it, the serotonin levels increased naturally by enough bodily activity can have a serious impact on fighting depressive mood, anxiety, and stress.

Even with frozen bones, in order to make remaining active work best for a busy schedule try:

• Opting to use the stairs more often than you use the elevator
  • Letting off some steam by going ice skating or rollerblading with friends
  • Stretching every night before bed and every morning before your start the day to get your blood flowing (even if your roommate looks at you funny)

Meditation, Mindfulness, and Gratitude, to destress from a busy schedule.

Take a deep breath. In through your nose, out through your mouth.

MMG can produce both a deep state of relaxation and a tranquil mind.  The goal is to deeply reflect on one’s self and/or way of thinking in efforts of achieving a clear and stable mind. By bringing your attention away from your daily stressors and responsibilities, the act of incorporating more mediation, mindfulness, and gratuity into your daily routine can result in enhanced physical and emotional well-being.

Every once in a while, when feeling particularly stressed, try:

• Taking three big deep breaths every time you feel overwhelmed to recenter yourself
  • Watching a sleep inducing guided meditation video on youtube (instead of the mindless tiktok scroll)
  • Signing up for a yoga or meditation class during the weekend to align your body and your mind

Declutter, to decrease anxiety.

Do you and your roommate a favor, clean up your mess.

I get it. When your problems begin to pile up, so do your chores. It’s hard to find the time to keep things tidy when you have a million things on your plate. Unfortunately, the clutter is only adding to the anxiety you might be feeling and the amount of things you have to eventually do. But decluttering can actually be extremely beneficial in increasing focus and decreasing confusion and tension (especially if your room is your chosen place of solitude).

Your emotional state and your room’s state go hand in hand. To improve both, try:

• Cleaning and organizing your fridge before writing your big paper to make grabbing a snack less annoying
  • Making up your bed before heading off to class for a sense of accomplishment
  • Putting your brain on autopilot by refolding and organizing the clothes in your drawers after studying
Sidney is a freshman at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign studying Community Health on the Pre-Med Track. In her free time, she loves to read, shop, and spend time with friends. She is particularly interested in the wellness <3