This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

Typically, I used to go on TikTok for its dancing videos or funny memes but now I find myself scrolling through new food and drink trends. These TikTok hacks have undoubtedly upped my cooking game and the best part is almost all the tricks require only a few ingredients, making them totally college budget friendly! I put four of these viral TikTok food and drink hacks to the test and figured out what’s worth trying the next time you’re in the kitchen. 

1. Folded Wrap 

One trendy TikTok I discovered was the folded tortilla wrap hack. This idea is way too brilliant to not try and the end result is a wrap where each bite has the perfect ratio of every ingredient. You simply just cut from the bottom to the middle of the tortilla and fold each of the four quarters that are filled with different ingredients of your choice. Pop it into a toaster and enjoy! Basically, it’s like a standard wrap but on X-Games mode. 

Ingredients:

– 1 tortilla wrap

– 4 ingredients of your choice

Check out this perfect folded wrap TikTok video by @simplefood4you that has a whopping 6.5M views. 

2. Whipped Coffee

With our Dunkin here on campus being closed, we’ve all been our own personal baristas more than ever. Need something to elevate your coffee game? TikTok’s whipped coffee recipe only calls for three ingredients: instant coffee, sugar and hot water. Whip it up all together and you get a thick and frothy treat. Note: it takes some serious arm action so you can think of it like a morning workout too. 

Ingredients:

– 2 tablespoons instant coffee

– 2 tablespoons sugar

– 2 tablespoons hot water

tiktok-food-trends
Instagram

Watch this viral trend for whipped coffee posted by @imhannahcho.

3. Hummus Fettucine Alfredo

For a healthier option, TikTok has swapped the cheese in fettucine alfredo with creamy hummus. You might question how this one actually works, but trust me, the hummus actually gives the pasta a very cheese-like consistency. 

Ingredients:

– Pasta 

– Equal parts hummus and pasta water

Watch this easy and healthy creamy hummus pasta recipe on TikTok by @lizmoody.

4. Oreo Mug Cake

Convenient mug cakes have been around but TikTok has definitely taken it to a new level of easiness. This recipe only calls for two ingredients: Oreos and milk. All you need to do is crush up some Oreos in a mug, mix in the milk and pop it into the microwave for about a minute. The end result leaves you with a cup of chocolate cake deliciousness with a gooey center. If you’re vegan, you can even swap the milk with a nondairy alternative because yes, it’s true, Oreos are vegan! 

Ingredients:

– 4-5 Oreos

– ¼ cup of milk

Oreos
Torey Walsh / Spoon

This TikTok video posted by @sweetportfolio proves that the Oreo mug cake is almost too easy to make at home.

I am a junior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign and I am super passionate about writing, style, and inspiring young girls to be confident and to achieve their goals!
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.