This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As we all know, social media is the new wave of marketing in the 21st century digital age. Everyone is on social media, and if you’re not, then girl, what are you doing!? While managing your social media can be overwhelming from time to time, when used purposefully and strategically it really can transform your business or brand and take it to the next level. If you’re interested in learning more about how to succeed on social media, keep on reading!

1. Posting Consistently is KEY! 

If you want to stand out on socials and really grow your brand or business, then you’re going to have to be posting almost every single day. Whether it’s just a feed post or a story post, you always want to keep popping back up on your followers’ feeds and grabbing their attention! Trust me, it’s not as hard as you think. However, planning content in advance can really help make the process go smoother!  

tik tok app on black iphone
Photo by Solen Feyissa from Unsplash

2. Stick to Posts That Align with Your Brand

This is an essential part of growing on social media. When people come to your page, they want to be able to easily understand your “vibe” and what following you is going to add to their life. So, make sure to base your posts off of what are called “content pillars” aka the pillars behind your brand. For example, if you’re trying to get into the cooking and recipe space, then posting about your most recent video game purchase might not align with what your following wants to see. A good start is to think: how can I educate, inspire, or motivate my audience? Then create content from there. 

3. BE AUTHENTIC! 

The honest truth is, the real only way to stand out on socials is to be authentically you! Find out how you’re unique from others or what you can add to the field that you’re in that doesn’t already exist, and fixate on that! People will get bored if they think you are just a replica of the exact same influencers they’ve seen a million times before. So, get original and embrace the real you! I know it seems scary at first, but trust me when I say it will all pay off in the end. 

4. Real Community > Number of Followers

Everyone thinks that the way to show real growth on social media platforms is by how many followers you have. While in some cases the number of followers you have can be a good demonstration of how successful your brand or business is, that is usually not the case. It is a known fact in the industry that it is so much more valuable to have an authentic and engaged community of say 10,000 followers, than it is to have 100,000 followers who barely interact with your posts. Engagement is everything in this business, so make sure you’re focusing on building real relationships with your followers versus just fixating on how many there are. 

neon instagram sign with heart
Photo by Prateek Katyal from Unsplash

Hi! My name is Isabella Sohn and I am a Junior at UIUC studying communications with a minor in leadership.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.