taylor thoman DSC_2321
taylor thoman DSC_2321
Her Campus Media
Style

Three Essential Fall Wardrobe Pieces

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

With fall in full swing, it’s the perfect time to nail down essential pieces in your wardrobe that can be worn during the cooler months year after year (and even transition into other seasons too!). In this article, I’m going to be sharing what I think are three essential fall wardrobe pieces that everyone should own. So, if you’re looking to curate some cute and comfy looks this fall, keep on reading!

Leaves Converse Fall Sneakers Ground
Jackie Ryan / Her Campus

1. A Good Pair of Jeans

Everyone needs at least one good pair of jeans in their closet that can be styled with anything. Jeans are so versatile because they can be dressed up or down and they can pretty much be worn all year round. Some of my favorite places to shop for affordable jeans are Gap, American Eagle, Pacsun and Levi’s. I’ve found these stores have wide ranges of styles and colors to choose from, so they can fit everyone’s preferences and body type. If you don’t own at least one good pair of jeans, make sure to go pick a pair up this season!

Celina Timmerman-Mom Jeans Hanging
Celina Timmerman / Her Campus

2. A Stylish Jacket

As everyone knows, fall is that perfect sweet spot: The time of year when we don’t have to worry about turning into an icicle or sweating our faces off right when we step outside. However, on those chilly fall nights, it’s important to have a stylish jacket that can be paired with any outfit. Enter: the denim jacket or the leather jacket. I chose two different kinds of jackets here because I truly think which jacket you should purchase depends on your personal style. If you have more of an edgier look, choose the leather jacket. Or if you have more of a girly look, choose the denim jacket. Or, if you’re like me and your style changes with your mood (so basically every few hours), then get both! I think both of these jackets are staples in any young woman’s wardrobe, especially because if you invest in nice pieces they will last you a lifetime. For purchasing these pieces, I think it’s always better to get them second hand because they’re already perfectly worn in, so check out the thrift store!

girl with jean jacket and collge hat peace sign
Taylor Thoman / Her Campus

3. A Button-Up Shirt

I absolutely love button-up shirts because I think they can be mixed and matched with other pieces in your closet to create so many different looks. Button-up shirts also come in so many styles, from thin material to flannel material, from solid colors to crazy patterns and so on. They can be thrown on as a cardigan-like piece over a crop top or layered under a denim or leather jacket. I think the best place to get a button-up shirt is from the thrift store. Not only is it better to get them from here because shopping second hand is ALWAYS a better choice than shopping fast fashion brands, because certain mall stores charge upwards of $50 for a shirt that you could pay $4 for at the thrift store. So, if you’re looking for some good layering pieces for this season (wearing a button-up under a crewneck? I could die it’s so cute), make sure to stop by your local thrift store and pick one up!

Hi! My name is Isabella Sohn and I am a Junior at UIUC studying communications with a minor in leadership.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.