This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Illinois chapter.

As the semester comes to a close, students begin to prepare for their finals and all the work that accompanies them. From final projects to essays and exams, this is usually the most stressful time of the year for the average college student. With the end of the semester being completely online and remote, many students are faced with this added stress and unfamiliarity. However, despite all the stressors and factors that make this finals season a challenge, there are plenty of ways to finish out the semester with the grades you want without letting the stress get the best of you.

Although this isn’t the first semester for finals to be completely remote and online, it is the first full semester of COVID being a factor. Everyone can probably agree that the pandemic has made the fall semester even more exhausting compared to others in the past. Personally, this is not how I would’ve imagined my first semester of college to be, but despite this, I’ve found that there are many different aspects of dealing with the challenges of school that can be applied during finals week. 

Girl with closed eyes and praying hands
Photo by Ben White from Unsplash

Check In with Yourself Mentally

Being in tune with where you’re at mentally is something that is always important, but especially during finals. Being able to acknowledge how you’re feeling and realizing what’s on your mind will help alleviate stress. Before starting to study, thinking about everything you need to accomplish and how you feel about it can help gage your priorities. Especially when you feel overwhelmed, take a few minutes to gather your thoughts.

If you find yourself feeing stressed or overworked, there are lots of different methods to deal with those emotions. Simple actions like taking deep breaths and meditating can have a profound effect on your mood and can help improve concentration. Every person has a different way of managing stress, so find whatever works best for you!

Woman reading a book in bed
Photo by Daria Shevtsova from Pexels

Take a Break When You Need To

This might seem obvious, but it’s crucial to take study breaks. While it’s easy to get into a groove and get a lot of work done, it’s also important to acknowledge when your body and mind needs a break. Whether it’s getting some exercise and movement in, taking a power nap or simply grabbing a snack, try to break up your studying schedule. However, at the same token, don’t allow these study breaks to become excuses to not finish your work.

girl stressed at computer
energepic.com

Always Put in Your Best Effort

As cliché as it might sound, there’s a reason why people always say to put your best effort in because you want your work to reflect it! Be confident that you have been doing good work all semester, but don’t drop the ball in the last weeks of class. As tempting as it can be to avoid your work that needs to get done, you’ll be happier with the end results when you’re doing your best. Once all of your hard work has paid off, then it’s time to enjoy the holiday season!

Good luck on your finals this year. You’ve got this!

Liz Gremer

Illinois '24

Freshman at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign studying Speech and Hearing Sciences.
The official page for the University of Illinois Her Campus chapter.